Sign in to follow this  
NYAZHunter

36B

We used to love going down there from Phoenix.  There never seemed to be a shortage of whitetails or Javelina down there.   I'm getting old and I shouldn't be worried about it  but things sure have changed.  Although looking back, my experience could have happened anywhere. The last year I  hunted whitetail down there with my wife we were fortunate enough to shoot a nice buck early opening day.  After the shot, there were a few hunters "filtering down" from the mountains curious to see what was happening. Two hunters offered to "watch my deer" while we went back for the truck.  I said that's okay, we got it. After we gutted it out and carried and dragged it a quarter mile or so to the first shady place that  was accessible , we went for the truck and got it loaded. That evening about 8:30, which to me is late for strangers to be popping in to our camp that was well off the  beaten path, a truck pulled up and put their headlights on my deer that was hanging.  The same two hunters that had offered to watch my deer, now pretty drunk , were spinning my deer, skinned and in a cheese cloth bag,  around and examining it see how many bullet holes were in it.  My wife was staying put in our tent as I put my 1911 45 auto on under my coat and walked out. They told me they had shot the deer first, and I had taken it from them. There was just one hole in it. They tried to bluff me and I had already made up my mind the deer was not worth getting killed over but  the grips on my 45 sorta glistened in the headlights as it peaked out from my coat as we talked and they thought twice about it all and left.  We took off at first light.  Sure makes for a sh***y end to a hunt.  

6 hours ago, AzNative63 said:

We used to love going down there from Phoenix.  There never seemed to be a shortage of whitetails or Javelina down there.   I'm getting old and I shouldn't be worried about it  but things sure have changed.  Although looking back, my experience could have happened anywhere. The last year I  hunted whitetail down there with my wife we were fortunate enough to shoot a nice buck early opening day.  After the shot, there were a few hunters "filtering down" from the mountains curious to see what was happening. Two hunters offered to "watch my deer" while we went back for the truck.  I said that's okay, we got it. After we gutted it out and carried and dragged it a quarter mile or so to the first shady place that  was accessible , we went for the truck and got it loaded. That evening about 8:30, which to me is late for strangers to be popping in to our camp that was well off the  beaten path, a truck pulled up and put their headlights on my deer that was hanging.  The same two hunters that had offered to watch my deer, now pretty drunk , were spinning my deer, skinned and in a cheese cloth bag,  around and examining it see how many bullet holes were in it.  My wife was staying put in our tent as I put my 1911 45 auto on under my coat and walked out. They told me they had shot the deer first, and I had taken it from them. There was just one hole in it. They tried to bluff me and I had already made up my mind the deer was not worth getting killed over but  the grips on my 45 sorta glistened in the headlights as it peaked out from my coat as we talked and they thought twice about it all and left.  We took off at first light.  Sure makes for a sh***y end to a hunt.  

Could have happened anywhere. But did you report it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Could have happened anywhere. But did you report it?

Good point, scumbags have no boundaries. This happened to me in 27 when I was a kid. The way I looked at it, not worth it and I keep to hunt on.

Tony, was amazing to glass with a tripod for the first time. Glassed a buck up under one of the oaks at 840 yds. I look forward to one more scouting trip and opening day.

Thank you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYAZHunter said:

Tony, was amazing to glass with a tripod for the first time. Glassed a buck up under one of the oaks at 840 yds. I look forward to one more scouting trip and opening day.

Thank you.

Be sure to watch those big ocotillo stands. Deer love to eat the leaves. The last buck I killed in that unit was doing just that. 

Good luck. Can't wait to see the photos of your buck! 

Hey Jim ,It looks great down there. I screwed up on my 4th choice # and got 36A 3rd hunt day after thanksgiving. Was hoping to hunt with You guys again. Had a blast. Your a great cook ole Buddy..PM me your phone #  I lst it when I changed phone companies a couple years ago..Good Luck down there.............BOB!