OneBreath808

6B Arizona Mule Deer hunt

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I was referring to pronghorn.  

We do have big mulies down here, just not like up north.  

Even though me and my wife are from, and grew up in PA. I met her when I flew home (from Sierra Vista)  for my grand pops funeral.  When I told her where I lived she told me her mom grew up out here.  I figured she was probably mistaken (you know, cuz she's a chick). And sure enough she put me on the phone with her mom and it was true.  She even had a grandmother that lives here in town. Crazy, what are the chances?

Oddly enough my brothers wife had a grandma buried out here too.  

Where are muleys at off post? Ill go there and not head all the way up to 6B

5 hours ago, OneBreath808 said:

Where are muleys at off post? Ill go there and not head all the way up to 6B

Everywhere. But remember it's archery only for you, (I assume you already know this, just saying).

They are out the West gate and all the little roads when you come out that shoot to the right as they head downhill get mildly better. Once you hit the fenceline that is babacamori ranch (or similar spelling).  Then if you head out to the end of cimaron road and hang a left like you are going to Parker lake then another left at the next intersection where you can keep going straight to go to parker or left to go back behind the huachucas toward the border.  The whole area from that point all the way to where it comes around the backside of the mountain and wraps back around to palominas holds mule deer.  It's worth mentioning that after the first left off Cimarron road that it rides the top of the ridge, I've only ever seen WT cross my path on that road while driving but that ridge runs high and I'd be willing to bet you could glass the valley to the east and spot some MD but that's just a hunch.  You could potentially run into some BP that might try and tell you there are no deer back there, which will be because they either hunt and have animals patterned, or they just dont like civillians running around back there. But dont let that stop you! I'm not saying it's monster country but it does have potential.  

Next would be North of post in the mustangs which is on the other side of the babocamari ranch.  Look all around, the higher the vantage point the more WT it is and the lower it is is more MD. Sierra vista and on post is pretty much a transition area, the further you get from oaks into desert country the more muley it becomes.  The closer you get to the san pedro river it becomes MD country. Now the odd thing is once you get to the actual river bottom it is 50/50 what you will see. Some spots I have only seen MD and some spots I've only seen WT.  

Earlier I mentioned a tripod and 15s. This is really important. I would choose $400 glass on a tripod over $3000 glass without a tripod. I can't stress this enough.  Once you get on board with this idea, your opportunity will skyrocket. If you want I will take you out some morning or evening to glass and show you.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Everywhere. But remember it's archery only for you, (I assume you already know this, just saying).

They are out the West gate and all the little roads when you come out that shoot to the right as they head downhill get mildly better. Once you hit the fenceline that is babacamori ranch (or similar spelling).  Then if you head out to the end of cimaron road and hang a left like you are going to Parker lake then another left at the next intersection where you can keep going straight to go to parker or left to go back behind the huachucas toward the border.  The whole area from that point all the way to where it comes around the backside of the mountain and wraps back around to palominas holds mule deer.  It's worth mentioning that after the first left off Cimarron road that it rides the top of the ridge, I've only ever seen WT cross my path on that road while driving but that ridge runs high and I'd be willing to bet you could glass the valley to the east and spot some MD but that's just a hunch.  You could potentially run into some BP that might try and tell you there are no deer back there, which will be because they either hunt and have animals patterned, or they just dont like civillians running around back there. But dont let that stop you! I'm not saying it's monster country but it does have potential.  

Next would be North of post in the mustangs which is on the other side of the babocamari ranch.  Look all around, the higher the vantage point the more WT it is and the lower it is is more MD. Sierra vista and on post is pretty much a transition area, the further you get from oaks into desert country the more muley it becomes.  The closer you get to the san pedro river it becomes MD country. Now the odd thing is once you get to the actual river bottom it is 50/50 what you will see. Some spots I have only seen MD and some spots I've only seen WT.  

Earlier I mentioned a tripod and 15s. This is really important. I would choose $400 glass on a tripod over $3000 glass without a tripod. I can't stress this enough.  Once you get on board with this idea, your opportunity will skyrocket. If you want I will take you out some morning or evening to glass and show you.  

Man that would be perfect if you could take me out one morning. I am definitely down to go my man

On 9/4/2019 at 7:34 AM, OneBreath808 said:

@CatfishKev I am heck bent on a Muley because it has more meat. Coues are tiny and we only get to shoot one deer per year, which blows my mind

coues taste waaaay better!

like filet mignon vs rump roast with no fat!

besides you get another crack at em with your bow come January (rut time) if you kill now.

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I offered down south help. Never heard back  

If your offering I have a 35b late tag😉

41 minutes ago, oz31p said:

If your offering I have a 35b late tag😉

Sorry man. Don't know 35b at all. I'd help if I could.  From what I hear it's way more glassable than 35a. I want to learn it myself honestly.  I know you at least know how to hunt so even flying blind you should be able to kill a decent buck. 

Just now, CatfishKev said:

Sorry man. Don't know 35b at all. I'd help if I could.  From what I hear it's way more glassable than 35a. I want to learn it myself honestly.  I know you at least know how to hunt so even flying blind you should be able to kill a decent buck. 

That’s my plan. I’m going down next weekend end your welcome to explore with me. 

1 minute ago, oz31p said:

That’s my plan. I’m going down next weekend end your welcome to explore with me. 

I'd love too if I had time. Trying to finish jobs fast in time for my bison hunt which is the same time as 2 youth tags my kids have.  

Good luck man!

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I offered down south help. Never heard back  

Gents Im sorry for the late reply Im in the Army and spend a lot of time working and honestly forgot about the post. I have a civilian that said he will go up there with me. I truly appreciate all the love and help you all are will to give me. I am always down whenever I have the free time to head up there

3 hours ago, jknister said:

Did anyone ever help you out with this?  I can point you to some decent areas around Sedona

I have a guy that will go up with me Ill link up with you as well if youre up there or take any advice you have