Soak for 24 hours in sprite or ginger ale, cut into bite sized pieces, cook in pan with soy sauce/teriyaki sauce. Add stir fry veggies and throw over rice. 

My Italian grandfather who has been deceased for many years now, plucked the birds, gutted them and cut off the feet. Then he would lightly sautee them in olive oil before adding them into his tomato marinara sauce while it was still cooking. He cooked his quail the same way, basically like cooking meatballs. 

Filet and wrap with a slice of green chili and/or jalepeno and a piece of bacon.  Hold together with a tooth pick and smoke (165-185deg).  We do this with duck and quail as well.  Always comes out as delicious apps for Tgiving/Xmas or poker night.  

9 hours ago, jdown said:

Filet and wrap with a slice of green chili and/or jalepeno and a piece of bacon.  Hold together with a tooth pick and smoke (165-185deg).  We do this with duck and quail as well.  Always comes out as delicious apps for Tgiving/Xmas or poker night.  

How long do you cold smoke for? Does the bacon crisp up at that temp? 

oh good call.    I'll start at 165 for about 30min then go up about 10 degrees every 30 min to 185 or so adding smoke at each interval,.so total cook/smoke time about 2 hours.   Then open the vents and go up to 225 for 15-20 min and the bacon will crisp up.   You can also cheat and pull them and put in the oven on broil for about 10min.   Way better with the bacon crispy. 

• Like 1

bone it out, grind it up and make chorizo, my recipe is on here from a while back.  On my new laptop and haven't moved stuff over or I would share it now

Don't overcook!!!!

Wrapped in thin bacon (cheap bacon) and grilled hot and fast = cooked bacon and medium rare dove.  Tastes like filet mignon.

Filet breast meat off the bone.

Marinade in olive oil, worcestershire and montreal steak seasoning.  Refrigerate 1-4 hours. While meat is still cold (important as this helps keep it from overcooking) wrap in cheap bacon pulling bacon thinner as you wrap.  

Heat grill very hot before putting dove on grill - cook just long enough to cook bacon.  Pull off and let rest in foil for 5 min

• Like 1

12 hours ago, savagman said:

Don't overcook!!!!

Wrapped in thin bacon (cheap bacon) and grilled hot and fast = cooked bacon and medium rare dove.  Tastes like filet mignon.

Filet breast meat off the bone.

Marinade in olive oil, worcestershire and montreal steak seasoning.  Refrigerate 1-4 hours. While meat is still cold (important as this helps keep it from overcooking) wrap in cheap bacon pulling bacon thinner as you wrap.  

Heat grill very hot before putting dove on grill - cook just long enough to cook bacon.  Pull off and let rest in foil for 5 min

It's probably the most difficult game to cook. 95% of people who shoot them have extremely limited to zero culinary  skills or a repertoire and don't care to try to experiment with them.  We used to just shoot them and toss them in the bushes because we had lots of coyotes and didn't like the liver taste.

28 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

It's probably the most difficult game to cook. 95% of people who shoot them have extremely limited to zero culinary  skills or a repertoire and don't care to try to experiment with them.  We used to just shoot them and toss them in the bushes because we had lots of coyotes and didn't like the liver taste.

Goodness! You threw away food? Growing up we just cooked them on the breast with eggs and toast for breakfast. These days I try to be more exploratory with cooking them, since I can afford bacon now.

• Like 2