Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Local Paper Buck

This article shows how local small town newspapers are struggling for headlines!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

This article shows how local small town newspapers are struggling for headlines!!!

I think it’s pretty cool they put hunters in the paper though 

• Like 5

Nice buck, but he won't be breaking any records with it. Both typical and nontypical P&Y Coues deer scored over 130. Sergio Orozco's typical scored 130 1/8 and graces the cover of HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER.

cover.thumb.jpg.d0b98ad9d708ac8fbb150a96c78cb15d.jpg

• Like 5

While it is a nice buck, the headline is a little misleading. Making the minimum for entry to the record book is a little different than the misleading "could break archery record".  But, if you'll notice, the author is a female with the same last name as the hunter, so I'm guessing it's his wife, daughter or other relative.  I agree though, it's great to have hunting including in a general circulation newspaper.  That's rare these days.

• Like 2

cool that they posted it in the paper but record breaking? come on now. nice buck though. 

I'm plenty old enough to remember when hunting and fishing had its own full "outdoors" page in the Phoenix Gazette (now defunct) and AZ Republic. Slowly over the years it shrunk and eventually was shut down. I believe the last outdoor editor at the Republic was DeWayne Smith. 

Edited: After some thought, I seem to recall Barry Burkhart, not DeWayne was actually the last outdoor editor. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Nice buck, but he won't be breaking any records with it. Both typical and nontypical P&Y Coues deer scored over 130. Sergio Orozco's typical scored 130 1/8 and graces the cover of HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER.

cover.thumb.jpg.d0b98ad9d708ac8fbb150a96c78cb15d.jpg

I really like the authors of that book!!! Dang what a monster on the cover....I remember reading the story on this Orozco buck.....can't remember where for sure.......maybe you posted the short version!!!

6 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I really like the authors of that book!!! Dang what a monster on the cover....I remember reading the story on this Orozco buck.....can't remember where for sure.......maybe you posted the short version!!!

The story I did on it is in the book itself, and I also had it published in Rocky Mt. Game & Fish magazine. I can't recall without looking at my files, but it might also have been in AZ Hunter & Angler.

In the 70's the Chandler Arizonian used to have an outdoor article in it every now and then. The last I remember anything in the Phx paper was from Bob Hirsch, that was probably 20 years ago. I do remember in the 80's there was a full page ad for a pigeon shoot, wouldn't see that anymore.