Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Local Paper Buck

On 9/3/2019 at 11:16 AM, AzDiamondHeat said:

Did anyone notice who WROTE the article?.....lol

He was probably just braggin to his wife trying to impress his lady.  Little did he know she was going to be so impressed that she would write a story about this little white lie of his.  Haha! All the poor guy was just trying to do was let his wife know she married a stud hunter.  Hope he got some nookie before getting busted.  The things guys will do to impress the ladies🤣🤣🤣JK.  Nice buck congrats to the hunter!   

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

He was one heck of a bear caller and a down to earth guy.

Yup. I recall him writing about his bear calling exploits before that method became very popular with the crowd. Ironically, I killed my first bear by calling it in with a Circe jackrabbit call near Cibeque Ridge on the WMA res in the 1960s before the tribe managed hunting. It was by accident, though, because I was trying to lure in a lion after I had seen its fresh tracks the day before while I was concentrating on killing a gobbler. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Yup. I recall him writing about his bear calling exploits before that method became very popular with the crowd. Ironically, I killed my first bear by calling it in with a Circe jackrabbit call near Cibeque Ridge on the WMA res in the 1960s before the tribe managed hunting. It was by accident, though, because I was trying to lure in a lion after I had seen its fresh tracks the day before while I was concentrating on killing a gobbler. 

A Circe was the first call I bought just after joining the Phoenix Varmint Callers before I knew Mesa had a club. I still have a few but prefer the softer rubber calls as they tend to not clog up as much with moisture.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

A Circe was the first call I bought just after joining the Phoenix Varmint Callers before I knew Mesa had a club. I still have a few but prefer the softer rubber calls as they tend to not clog up as much with moisture.

I still have the wooden one that I used on the bear. It was given to me in the 1960s by Jack Cain -- the brain behind Circe right here in Buckeye. He and a few others started the calling craze in AZ in the 1950s and organized The Arizona Varmint Callers. They held regular contests and set up the world championship. 

It's sort of humorous that we're discussing this now, because a couple weeks ago after mention of the Lee Bros, I was going to start a thread with the title of "Tales & Legends From the Past." It was going to be sort of a trip down memory lane for me from the 1960s on. One of the first mentions would have been my main hunting mentor from that era who was a legend in the calling world. He taught me how to call and was chasing his turkey on the res while I tried to entice the lion after already tagging my bird.. 

Given the general tone on this site lately, however, I decided not to start the discussion. Like most others, it would have been side tracked with a lot of inane blabbing. 

This is the bear from the res:

I13916.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I still have the wooden one that I used on the bear. It was given to me in the 1960s by Jack Cain -- the brain behind Circe right here in Buckeye. He and a few others started the calling craze in AZ in the 1950s and organized The Arizona Varmint Callers. They held regular contests and set up the world championship. 

It's sort of humorous that we're discussing this now, because a couple weeks ago after mention of the Lee Bros, I was going to start a thread with the title of "Tales & Legends From the Past." It was going to be sort of a trip down memory lane for me from the 1960s on. One of the first mentions would have been my main hunting mentor from that era who was a legend in the calling world. He taught me how to call and was chasing his turkey on the res while I tried to entice the lion after already tagging my bird.. 

Given the general tone on this site lately, however, I decided not to start the discussion. Like most others, it would have been side tracked with a lot of inane blabbing. 

This is the bear from the res:

I13916.jpg

I 'll hijack my own thread.................just a reminder that what once used to be in the 60's with contests and world championships...............our state has now sheeped in behind California ways!!!

Ban starts in 60 days!!!!

https://www.azfamily.com/news/ap_cnn/arizona-bans-hunting-contests-for-killing-wildlife-predators/article_5b23f7c4-cff0-11e9-b4db-23481d78a40d.html

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I 'll hijack my own thread.................just a reminder that what once used to be in the 60's with contests and world championships...............our state has now sheeped in behind California ways!!!

Ban starts in 60 days!!!!

https://www.azfamily.com/news/ap_cnn/arizona-bans-hunting-contests-for-killing-wildlife-predators/article_5b23f7c4-cff0-11e9-b4db-23481d78a40d.html

These were calling contests, not whack 'em and stack 'em ones. 

Lew Early was an aquaintance of my father.  Gave dear old dad a Circe call (jackrabbit) and showed him how to use it.  Dad took me and my brother down on Blue River and did a stand.  My brother and I were probably 10 - 12 years old.  When dad opened up on the Circe call, my brother and I laughed hysterically and could not stop laughing.  Dad was not amused, we went home.  Within a few years I did a lot of calling in the White Mtn area but will NEVER forget that first stand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Just an honest question here. My first event was when the Navajo Nation sponsored one in the mid 90's. The whole intent was to eliminate as many coyotes as possible. There was an entry fee for teams of two and no electronics. How was this not a wack'em stack'em contest?

There were 28 teams from six states and if I remember it there were 64, really uneducated coyotes removed from the landscape between sunrise on saturday to three o'clock on sunday.

When i was a kid game and fish flew helicopters through the 19 units and shot coyotes like door gunners in the military. All to benifit the antelope herds. It ended the same time trappin on public land was banned. Game and fish is not our friend. They are just another corporation charging peasants money to kill the kings deer. And selling elite citizens the better tags.

10 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Just an honest question here. My first event was when the Navajo Nation sponsored one in the mid 90's. The whole intent was to eliminate as many coyotes as possible. There was an entry fee for teams of two and no electronics. How was this not a wack'em stack'em contest?

There were 28 teams from six states and if I remember it there were 64, really uneducated coyotes removed from the landscape between sunrise on saturday to three o'clock on sunday.

That was a wack'em and stack'em contest. We're talking about two different things from two different eras. My reference was to the following, which I had posted earlier in the thread:

"He and a few others started the calling craze in AZ in the 1950s and organized The Arizona Varmint Callers. They held regular contests and set up the world championship." 

The above were merely CALLING contests where an individual would call for panel of judges who were screened off so they couldn't ID the caller. There were no critters or shooting involved, and the winners received money and a trophy. That said, those early clubs also conducted wack'em and stack'em events but no where near the magnitude of the recent types. They were not open to the general public but conducted as small club-level contests, much like the early bass tournaments were here in AZ in the 1960s. Then as the years went by and calling spread, the predator hunting contests grew larger.

• Like 1

Make, break...whats the difference!  LOL!  

Jean Wilson has been writing an Outdoors column in the Yuma Daily Sun as long as I can remember.

15 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Last time I was in Randalls there was an old trophy there from a calling contest, don't know if it's still there or not. One of the names that was on it was Del Western, the horse shoeing school guy.

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

Last time I was in Randalls there was an old trophy there from a calling contest, don't know if it's still there or not. One of the names that was on it was Del Western, the horse shoeing school guy.

Man, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. He was a really good caller and won quite a few calling and predator hunting events as a member of  the Phoenix Varmint Callers Association. I seem to recall him passing away about 15-20 years ago. I think his school is still in business. 

I met him a couple of times, he told me one time he shot a Coyote and picked it up by it's hind legs and was taking it back to his truck, he said that Coyote kept getting lighter and lighter and Del looked down and the Coyote was still alive walking on his front feet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow! 1