Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Survey Cards

No, untruthful is lying.

Or as a famous guy named Bill once said..."It depends on what your meaning of is is"? :lol:

Yeah, one of the more famous liars in the history of this country. Oh wait, he's probably no different than most politicians. :rolleyes: -TONY

Hey Tony,

I liked that Monica Liewinski button that you posted. I was thinking of having that printed on a t-shirt and showing up to a Hillary

Clinton rally, or maybe just send it to her as a gift !

Hey Tony,

I liked that Monica Liewinski button that you posted. I was thinking of having that printed on a t-shirt and showing up to a Hillary

Clinton rally, or maybe just send it to her as a gift !

I'm sure you'd be the hit of the rally -- that is if you got by the secret service dudes who talk into their wrists. :lol: -TONY

DCM, I also noticed the same thing. From how I read it, seems if you draw an archery tag and harvest, you won't have to call in to mandatory reporting or have it checked. If you are successful with an OTC tag, it is still mandatory to call in. I don't why they differentiate. Any ideas???

Archery deer hunters who received a hunt permit-tag through the draw process are not required to call the toll free Archery Deer Harvest Reporting telephone number to report their deer kill. We encourage hunters to return the Hunter Survey they will receive in the mail. Unit 12A archery deer hunters are not required to check their deer for inspection at the Jacob Lake Checking Station.

Seems pretty clear. The reason: since they KNOW someone drew a permit and where they hunted, they can mail out a survey card just as they do for the general hunts. -TONY

Game & Fish should give a bonus point to all hunters who send them in with out announcing it.Then see how many come in the next year.

Game & Fish should give a bonus point to all hunters who send them in with out announcing it.Then see how many come in the next year.

I doubt that will ever happen, but even then...the survey is only as good as the info provided when it comes to both game and people management decisions. Those who lie on the cards do nothing for either and in fact can cause a detrimental impact on game when they claim they were unsuccessful yet killed. -TONY

I'll bring this up again--mandatory sign off of a harvested animal by a gov't official--Game Warden-Cop--mandatory records to be kept by processing plants--period--and a big fine/loss of hunting privilege for getting caught with unauthorzed game at home!!! And don't use the cop out that it won't work. If a state as inept as CA can have that process in effect for 40+ yrs with 6 times the population--don't tell me that it is logistically impossible to do it in AZ. Even a Postmaster has the authority to do it in CA.

That would ensure acurate records. But--I'm sure there are those who DON'T want accurate records kept for one selfish reason or another.

I accurately fill out my survey for every hunt and return it the next day.

BOB

I'll bring this up again--mandatory sign off of a harvested animal by a gov't official--Game Warden-Cop--mandatory records to be kept by processing plants--period--and a big fine/loss of hunting privilege for getting caught with unauthorzed game at home!!! And don't use the cop out that it won't work. If a state as inept as CA can have that process in effect for 40+ yrs with 6 times the population--don't tell me that it is logistically impossible to do it in AZ. Even a Postmaster has the authority to do it in CA.

That would ensure acurate records. But--I'm sure there are those who DON'T want accurate records kept for one selfish reason or another.

I accurately fill out my survey for every hunt and return it the next day.

BOB

Did you ever think that maybe they don't want to know the real data? Remember, that data is public info, available to anyone for the asking. It's better for them to keep speculating the harvest stats, that way they can skew them any way they want to.

If a state as inept as CA can have that process in effect for 40+ yrs with 6 times the population--don't tell me that it is logistically impossible to do it in AZ. Even a Postmaster has the authority to do it in CA.

BOB

Bob,

Can you more thoroughly explain how the system works in CA? -TONY

At the recent commission meeting, Commissioner Hernbrode brought up that he wants more precision in the harvest data (refering to how they figure out how many animals are harvested, ie survey cards). I think that's great, however he then said he did not believe mandatory reporting was necessary. I think all the sportsmen's groups already support mandatory reporting or would if given the opportunity. I know the AZ Deer Association supports it and Dick King of the AZ Bowhunters requested that at the meeting to no avail. And Dick has been arguing for mandatory reporting for years now. It appears that the commission and dept do not support mandatory reporting, but hunters do.

Amanda

They support it for archery deer, sheep, lion and bear hunters though.

:( :angry: :huh: :blink:

Sure Tony--

The tag has a place for you and a countersigning officer or other authorized person to sign. You must also list the date, time, # of antler points and the general locality of the kill. You must transport the game to a person authorized to sign the tag. The portion that you enter that info on and is signed is torn off by the officer and mailed to the dept.

As I said--there are penalties if you do not abide by the law. As I said--the list of people authorized to sign is quite extensive--composed of both Fed & State officials. All law enforcement officers--FS personel-postmaster/mistresses are among those that can validate the tag.

Also-the wardens field check people and record that data . That data-although not accurate in actual harvest stats--is reflective of the trend.

This reporting system may show a trend--but otherwise the #'s are suspect at best. There are all sorts of reasons why a person may not return the mailer--or reasons to falsify the answers. A mandatory reporting system would go a long way in ensuring proper management of this dear and valuable resource.

Desert Bull--Yes--to answer your question--there are people who-for whatever reason do not want accurate data collected. Those people are doing the ethical sportsman a disservice IMHO!!

BOB

Until they require manditory reporting of all big Game I am NOT going to fill out anymore cards!! Why should I help them collect incomplete data that they can use against us???? You can talk and talk and talk..... but that is the root of the issue and I'm not changing my mind. ;)

CnS