Sign in to follow this  
bowsniper

Old quad tires

I have a 2006 Polaris 500 quad and still have the original tires on it.  Only 1500 miles and lots of tread left, and look great on the outside.  It's been stored in the garage out of the sun but still in the heat.  A new set will set me back $500+.  I don't know too much about quads, but I wouldn't trust old tires on my truck.  What do you think, could I trust them for a few more years and maybe 400 miles, or am I risking a problem 10 miles away from nowhere?

Thanks for you suggestions,

Mark

You're not alone, I too ride a 2006 Polaris with the original tires. Considering the max inflation is 5psi, one would have to get awfully chewed up to leave you stranded.

Carry a tube and small can of fix a flat on long treks.

Tim is right, if you had to ride back on a flat you would be pretty much fine as long as you didn't pop it off the bead. If the tires have been flat while it was being stored then the sidewalls will often form cracks that cant be fixed. However, if the tires have been inflated all of that time and still hold air then for it.

When I had old tires I kept a small bike pump with me to put some air in if one went flat.  I would just top it off whenever I needed.

Most tire shops have a pile of new factory ohv tires due to the demand to look cool and buy something besides the stock tires they come with. Should be able to pick some up for cheap. 

• Like 1

After 50+ years in the automobile and heavy equipment business with tires that old you are on borrowed time, I won’t be worried about wrecking at slow speed but if one let loose while cruising that could be an entirely different story. I don’t know about you but my life or getting seriously hurt is worth much more than the cost of a new set of tires.

• Like 2

Once you’ve walked a few miles back to the truck and then spent the rest of the day getting your truck back to where your quad is I’ll gladly spend money on new tires.

• Like 2

I just replaced mine on my 1999 Suzuki QuadRunner 500.....they were original and simply got low on tread.....but were bullet proof.  However they were an 8 ply tire

Someone just suggested to me that I should deflate the tires and run them on the rims (carefully) for 20 yards, if they don't crack, they should be ok.  Any thoughts on that?

Mark

5 minutes ago, bowsniper said:

Someone just suggested to me that I should deflate the tires and run them on the rims (carefully) for 20 yards, if they don't crack, they should be ok.  Any thoughts on that?

Mark

Yeah I think he's a tire salesman?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bowsniper said:

Mark

Seriously someone told you that? I’d slap them upside the head and tell them to do it to their tires next time! But on a more serious note are you married do you have any kids, does your family care about you if you answered yes to any of the above guestions just go get a new set of tires. Life is to short to have something bad happen when it is fully preventable.