AzDiamondHeat

Which weapon would you choose?

I get to hunt elk on a private ranch in NM again this year.  I can use a rifle, bow, crossbow or muzzleloader.

I am an archery guy through  and through but the opportunity  to hunt with a different weapon is rare to never for me.  Hard to give up my bow though. 

Which weapon would you choose?

Depends on how much time...if you have the time do archery. Rifle if you just want to kill something or have that opportunity at a big one in a minimal time frame

• Like 1

5 days.  

Morning hunt and evening hunt each day.  Opportunity  at elk pretty much every day.  This is not a "trophy hunt by any means.   They call 300-320 class a "trophy".  There is always a chance for a big one, just not likely. 

I got a nice 5x5 let year with my dad's old 35 whelan rifle so no real desire for that again.  

Do you have the option to change during the hunt or is the tag specific to weapon? Could go with archery and have rifle or muzzleloader as option if something big comes along out of range or whatever...

Rut-ish.  Like all earlyish hunts it depends on weather.   Should be rutting still though.  For sure responding to calls. 

Any weapon hunt.  Last year I carried my bow and had my rifle in my backpack scabbard. Got real heavy at 11k elevation...Lol

I was "second shooter" as my bro in law had never shot an elk.  After many close calls (all archery) I finally just decided to shoot one with the rifle just so we wouldn't go home empty handed.  Wouldn't even have taken the rifle if it wasn't  my dad's rifle.  

Just curious what you guys thought given the option.  

I’m a bowhunter....no brainer for me.  

For you, use what you want and will fulfill what you’re really looking for.  

• Like 1

If they are going to be rutting or you have a great water source to hit I would recommend the bow.  If not I would recommend the rifle.  Either way I would have the rifle in the truck or pack just in case you run into a similar situation as last year.

Yep...I'd be going with bow first and rifle as a backup. Unless you want the novelty of muzzleloader or crossbow assuming you've killed an elk with your bow before...