Sign in to follow this  
Hoytman

Hunting in the whetstones

One of my favorite units for whitetail. The Coues will often bed down in ocotillo thickets.

Talk about history...on the far north end of the NF grazing lease in the Whetstones on Sands Ranch Rd, just before Sands private property, is an old windmill. On current maps it's call Mezcal Springs but in the 19th century it was Iron Springs.

Many historians believe this is where the infamous shootout between the Earp posse And Curly Bill Brocious's Cowboy gang took place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brocius

• Like 3

On 9/12/2019 at 9:10 AM, Edge said:

One of my favorite units for whitetail. The Coues will often bed down in ocotillo thickets.

Talk about history...on the far north end of the NF grazing lease in the Whetstones on Sands Ranch Rd, just before Sands private property, is an old windmill. On current maps it's call Mezcal Springs but in the 19th century it was Iron Springs.

Many historians believe this is where the infamous shootout between the Earp posse And Curly Bill Brocious's Cowboy gang took place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brocius

That's pretty cool I never knew it happened right there I always figured it was on the San pedro or bobacamari.  Probably cause the movie shows them at a river 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacob...soaz said:

That's pretty cool I never knew it happened right there I always figured it was on the San pedro or bobacamari.  Probably cause the movie shows them at a river 

Yup movie got it wrong. Iron Springs stopped flowing after an earthquake there in the late19th century.

• Like 1

Some very rugged terrain in there, be prepared if your going to hike miles in.  Plenty of glassing hills and ridges to get high up and glass from.  

On 9/8/2019 at 7:42 PM, Jacob...soaz said:

Just watched an episode of meat eater and he was in the wetstones. Watch it and you can see what the country looks like . 

Which episode is that?

1 hour ago, G_E_E said:

Which episode is that?

It just said az coues deer hunting and I watched it and he said he was in the Coronado national forest . So if I am not missing something that is the wetstones.  Not sure episode number.. I don't have Netflix on my phone .

26 minutes ago, Jacob...soaz said:

It just said az coues deer hunting and I watched it and he said he was in the Coronado national forest . So if I am not missing something that is the wetstones.  Not sure episode number.. I don't have Netflix on my phone .

Umm...

Coronado is much larger than just that range...

32 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Umm...

Coronado is much larger than just that range...

And in several units 

Last time I hunted there, the Border Patrol came by my camp and made sure to tell me that I was camped in the middle of a major illegal migration corridor.  That sure didn't help me sleep at night, constantly hearing things in the dark.  I slept with my .357 on my chest at night.

• Like 1

Getting close to the hunt. Wife is shooting great out to 300 yards. Going to get her comfortable shooting out to 4 by the hunt. Curious for guys who have been hunting the area. Are deer numbers pretty good in the unit? 

Numbers are good.  Being able to shoot to 400 is a good thing.  A triclawps on the fore end of the gun and a primes trigger stick for the bit stock make a solid shooting platform.  

• Like 1