Sign in to follow this  
Hoytman

Hunting in the whetstones

Thanks kev.... Been debating about picking up a triclawps.... I think i will. Would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I love the whetstones. Have done well back there. 

2 hours ago, Hoytman said:

Thanks kev.... Been debating about picking up a triclawps.... I think i will. Would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I thought I could replace the triclawps with just cradling the fore end on my tripod head. I was wrong and regret selling it.   Triclawps in front and then stuff a beanie inside a beanie and attach it to the rest part of the trigger stick. It allows you to slide it up and down the stock and allows you to rest your cheek on it with pressure. I'm telling you its rock solid. Good luck. 

• Like 1

I will be heading out in the morning. I might try to take a drive out to the whetstones but I will be spending the majority of the time around the empire ranch. No tag for me this year, taking the wife and daughter (first hunt) out.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 1:24 PM, Hoytman said:

Wife was able to get a leftover 34b Nov tag. Planning on hunting in the whetstones. For those have hunted there what kind of vegetation is it? Easily glassable? Thanks

Have any luck

Hey guys this is going to be my first time hunting 34b 2nd rifle. Can anyone tell me what I can expect genetics wise in the Whetstones?  Is it the type of unit that produces some really good bucks or if I see a 90" buck should I shoot it. I understand that there is always a chance of finding that one book buck, but I'm never that lucky.  

10 minutes ago, Predatorjunkie1 said:

Hey guys this is going to be my first time hunting 34b 2nd rifle. Can anyone tell me what I can expect genetics wise in the Whetstones?  Is it the type of unit that produces some really good bucks or if I see a 90" buck should I shoot it. I understand that there is always a chance of finding that one book buck, but I'm never that lucky.  

Been years since I hunted it so dont really know overall what to expect there but a 90" buck is definitely a shooter. 

As said 90 inch is a shooter. But what I like about 34b is the coues seem to be big bodied deer. Heck of a lot more meat.👍