Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Dive Boat Incident

I'm sure many of you have read of this by now. It strikes home for me as over the 4th my son and I spent three nights fishing on a boat with the same dimensions. Our bunks were just below the hatch by the bow so we had a possible escape route but there wasn't any instruction on how to use it.

Really makes you wonder why  it seems that nobody made it out from below deck or if there was any fire suppression system in there.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/california-dive-boat-fire-33-bodies-recovered-1-still-missing.html

from Wikipedia

Fire and toxic cylinder contamination from oxygen reactions[edit]

Partial pressure blending using pure oxygen decanted into the cylinder before topping up with air may involve very high oxygen fractions and oxygen partial pressures during the decanting process, which constitute a relatively high fire hazard. This procedure requires care and precautions by the operator, and decanting equipment and cylinders which are clean for oxygen service, but the equipment is relatively simple and inexpensive.[19] Partial pressure blending using pure oxygen is often used to provide nitrox on live-aboard dive boats, but it is also used in some dive shops and clubs.

Any gas which contains a significantly larger percentage of oxygen than air is a fire hazard, and such gases can react with hydrocarbons or lubricants and sealing materials inside the filling system to produce toxic gases, even if a fire is not apparent. Some organisations exempt equipment from oxygen-clean standards if the oxygen fraction is limited to 40% or less.[30]

Why dont boats that large have sprinkler systems for fire supression. All that water and all it would take is a few sensors and a pump system. Such a sad story and an eye opener. 

• Like 1

What a tragic loss of life.  Scary man.  Its gnarly getting on those vessels.  You are literally putting your life in the hands of the Skipper and crew every time.  

• Like 2

I  once dove on the boat that was capsized in San Carlos around 15 years ago.  We did a day trip, and it was a converted shrimper made into a "dive" boat with overnight quarters.  It was the most top heavy boat I had ever been on.  It made me nervous at anchor on calm seas during the daylight.  It supposedly got hit by a "rogue wave"  and went down in deep waters with  only two survivors out of around 16 on a New Years over night trip.  That was in Mexico where there are not many safety standards.  For this accident to happen in American waters there will be repercussions for sure.  

2 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

For this accident to happen in American waters there will be repercussions for sure.  

The wheels at NFPA move slow. I'm not a maritime warrior but the crews on these boats just give the passengers a very quick rundown on the safety procedures. You can expect to see some big changes as to what systems are on boats.