Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

Sure do wish I'd got this email a week ago .....

So after reading a few posts on CWT.com after work today, I check my email:

Hi Daniel :)
I am trying to reach you about a buck pronghorn tag that was surrendered back to our department. You are next inline for this tag. It was your only choice on your application hunt# 2009, unit 5B, 9/6/2019-9/15/2019. Can you please call by 5 PM  today 9/5/2019 to let me know if you would want to except this tag. I hope you have a great day!
Thank you,
Donna :)

I can appreciate that the department is trying to see to it that a hunting opportunity is not squandered but ...... the hunt starts in the morning and I am not dumping 26 lope points on a hunt I am not prepared for.   I could prep in a week but not overnight.  I think tag surrender should but up to a week or two prior to the opener.  Still, happy to have the opportunity to turn down a tag. 

• Like 4

My father-in-law just got off the phone with game and fish. A unit 10 antelope tag was just surrendered and he’s next up. Lucky for him, I just hunted my butt for archery in 10 and know what to expect. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Eagle mountain ranch said:

Classic  procrastination by the AZGFD 

Procrastination? How’s that?

• Like 1

Lol @ being allowed to turn your tag in the day before the hunt. Pointguard is a chit show 

but that being said if they called me the day before the archery elk hunt I’d be happy

• Like 2

Yeah, this would be tough for us working stiffs. Good opportunity for retired guys. 

“Hey Boss! Just got an offer for a tag up north. Starts in the morning. I need 10 days off effective immediately.”.........”Have fun, I’ll have all your stuff in a box when you get back. You can pick it up at receiving, I’ll need your badge now too.” 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Yeah, this would be tough for us working stiffs. Good opportunity for retired guys. 

“Hey Boss! Just got an offer for a tag up north. Starts in the morning. I need 10 days off effective immediately.”.........”Have fun, I’ll have all your stuff in a box when you get back. You can pick it up at receiving, I’ll need your badge now too.” 

Oh how I yearn  retirement only a short/long 10 years away come on 55 baby.... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Way easier to get another job than another AZ goat tag!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I’ve told my boss year after year (17 years and 7 bosses) that I hunt. My productivity will be lacking in the fall and I may need random days off with little notice. Again, 17 years and still have a job.

• Like 1

I wish I got that call.  Just spent 10 days there.  Even if could just hunt weekend, you can cover enough ground to see enough goats.  But not having any time up there and risking 26 points? I don't blame you.  Hopefully you get a crack at it next year, you are 7 years ahead of me.   

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Lol @ being allowed to turn your tag in the day before the hunt. Pointguard is a chit show 

but that being said if they called me the day before the archery elk hunt I’d be happy

If it were an elk tag I'd be loading the truck and making phone calls.  I can play with elk @ a moments notice.  When I finally do draw antelope, it will be my 2nd AZ lope tag and will have waited at least 25 years to get the opportunity (got 27 points going into the next draw).  I want to enjoy every part of the process starting with a CC hit.

• Like 5