Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

Sure do wish I'd got this email a week ago .....

1 hour ago, Swivelhead said:

I agree.  Suspect the tag was surrendered today.    

My father-in-law’s was surrendered at 3:00pm today, he got the call about 4-4:30. 

3 minutes ago, eagle#eyes said:

My father-in-law’s was surrendered at 3:00pm today, he got the call about 4-4:30. 

Hope your FIL has a great hunt, hopefully you can be there for him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZ8 said:

Yeah, this would be tough for us working stiffs. Good opportunity for retired guys. 

“Hey Boss! Just got an offer for a tag up north. Starts in the morning. I need 10 days off effective immediately.”.........”Have fun, I’ll have all your stuff in a box when you get back. You can pick it up at receiving, I’ll need your badge now too.” 

You must work for some tough people.

• Like 1

I don't check my phone as I can not have it at work they called me 3 times yesterday for that unit 10 antelope tag for my wife. We would have taken it but didn't see the phone message till after 5 last night. The phone message was at 10:30 and gave us till noon to call back. Oh well better luck next time.  

Do they not offer anything after 5pm the night before the hunt starts? So those surrendered tags that don't get filled just mean a few less goats shot this year?

I already mentioned it, but all I could think about last night was getting that call for 5b.  After trailing my son for those 9 days on the archery hunt before he killed and watching those bucks pass by at 120 yards and/or stomp their feet as we got picked off time and time again....I couldn't help but think revenge on just one more of them!  haha

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

If it were an elk tag I'd be loading the truck and making phone calls.  I can play with elk @ a moments notice.  When I finally do draw antelope, it will be my 2nd AZ lope tag and will have waited at least 25 years to get the opportunity (got 27 points going into the next draw).  I want to enjoy every part of the process starting with a CC hit.

If I was in the same position with 27 points I wouldn't take the tag so close to the hunt either. On a rifle antelope hunt the scouting is where all the fun is at. 

I think a deadline of one or two weeks before the hunt to turn in the tag would be plenty fair. Maybe they could allow it to be turned in those last couple weeks if you could prove a medical reason for needing to turn in the tag.

My opinion is that they should leave it as is.  If they make the surrender deadline a week or two early, then it seems there would be guys complaining because they could not leverage point guard even if a valid reason came-up a few days prior to the hunt. 

Bottom line is that NO system is perfect.  Swivelhead was next in line and he made the best decision for him at the time.  So they then go to the next person, and they can decide the same thing.  No biggie, IMO.

At least it's not like the old days when folks lost many points due to something coming-up that is out of their control.

S.

• Like 4

I agree, no perfect system and if they are calling up until 5pm the night before, they are doing their job.  Totally agree on not taking that tag if you have not been up there scouting at all preseason.   Especially for antelope   

• Like 1

Well my wife called the lady this morning and it so happens the gentleman who they offered it to after her decided this morning not to take it so my wife ended up with the tag after all. So with only 2 points at stake we will be antelope hunting next weekend. We were already leaving today for california on a rock fish trip that I can not change. But i figure any lope I can get her next week will be a blast. 

• Like 10
  • Wow! 1

I agree, no system is perfect. What ends up being better for the guy accepting the tag is probably worse for the guy surrendering it. About the only thing that should be changed is an email of some sorts with permission and the situation should be sent instead of waiting for the physical tag. In order to do the hunt, my FIL is finishing a few projects up and doesn’t have time to go get the tag today when they are open so they are overnighting it him. Good on them but it means he won’t have the tag until Saturday afternoon.  I told him he’s waited 20 plus years already, it’s his call to rush this or just wait a little longer to do it the way he wants. 

My wife is super excited she just went down to the Kingman office and picked up her tag. So next weekend we will be Antelope hunting. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

IMO there is. its called you buy the ticket, you take the ride. 

No you buy the ticket and the ride isn’t big enough you turn it back.