down2hunt

Rut Activity

Bulls just started the aggressive answers to my calls yesterday. Will continue to get better for a few days more until the hunts start. September 24 they will go crazy :rolleyes:

Unit 17a, things cooled down last night and the Kimche hit the fan.  They were so wound up this morning that I had elk bugle back at me when i coughed or used the zipper on my tent.  The cows were very vocal as well.  Like when parents leave teenagers home alone.  Crazy wild.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:40 AM, JSR said:

Probably because there were 65,000 people camping and running SxS's all weekend off the Bill Williams loop road. 

We counted 150 trailers between the pavement and Dogtown Reservoir road on Labor Day weekend.

I made it to my plan C spot due to forest fire activity still. Nobody camped here luckily. Gonna start hiking around 2 am hoping the elk in this lower country are being vocal. Good luck to all the hunters!!

I pulled my blinds out of 8.  I hate when it gets crowded.  Last year, during late rifle,  I hunted close to the roads.   Ended up feeding critters out to the road hunters.  Sure can frustrate a guy.  Ya gotta have some help if you are fixing on dropping one down in them canyons.

23S on Tues had a few making noise briefly just after dark, then silence. Wednesday night I had at least  4 screaming all around me from 10:00PM to 3:00AM. 

Amazing how much difference 24 hours can make.

Good luck to those lucky tag holders in there. Some big arse bulls still left.

3 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

23S on Tues had a few making noise briefly just after dark, then silence. Wednesday night I had at least  4 screaming all around me from 10:00PM to 3:00AM. 

Amazing how much difference 24 hours can make.

Good luck to those lucky tag holders in there. Some big arse bulls still left.

It just takes one bull to start feeling his oats and the others respond accordingly.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, Will K said:

I was in 6A but never heard a single bugle. (Southern part of unit)

I was in 6a last weekend and again today.  Last weekend was nuts cows in heat, bulls screaming.

Today a couple bulls bugled from just across a canyon from when I arrived to when I left a few hours later. 

On 9/15/2019 at 9:43 AM, northAZarcher said:

I was in 6a last weekend and again today.  Last weekend was nuts cows in heat, bulls screaming.

Today a couple bulls bugled from just across a canyon from when I arrived to when I left a few hours later. 

I agree... it's over already!  :(

;)

• Haha 1

I was in 4a over the weekend, Thurs and Fri not a single bugle. Sat and Sun only bugles were while we were getting ready for the day at 330am. Hopefully picks up for next weekend and rest of hunt with the cooler temps and full moon moving on.

• Like 1