down2hunt

Rut Activity

I've been in 4B. Thursday was by far the most active day. I missed the bull of my life by rushing the release.  (He had split 3rds on left side too.) 

Friday only saw and heard a single bull and a handful of cows. Saturday morning was stone cold dead. I came home to wait out the weekend campers and the storm. Will head back up Monday night to hunt the last three days.  Hoping the action picks up again.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

I've been in 4B. Thursday was by far the most active day. I missed the bull of my life by rushing the release.  (He had split 3rds on left side too.) 

Friday only saw and heard a single bull and a handful of cows. Saturday morning was stone cold dead. I came home to wait out the weekend campers and the storm. Will head back up Monday night to hunt the last three days.  Hoping the action picks up again.  

back in 2006 i was set up next to the hiway in heber and i bought a nice matched set from 4b.  the left side had perfectly split, matching 13 inch thirds.

good luck!

lee

What’s up in 7W. over the weekend. Most of the tanks are dry. Off of Road 245. Not sure with the rain yesterday what it will be like. I heard bugles all weekend long all night.   They shut down bugling around 8 AM. And started up the next night again about 730 to 8 PM.  I set up a couple of cameras. We shall see. Youth hunt coming up

12 minutes ago, azdonw said:

Those are some smart internet savvy bulls 😁

E-scouting hunter activity and locations.😏

West side of 6A was lighting up on Sat evening about 8pm till 3am!  It was awesome hearing the action, listening to locations of the bugles and comparing to the sound to all of my dropped pins for rubs!  Hard work was paying off.  Bulls were progessively getting more aggressive and the bugles were almost nonstop Sat night after a very slow start.  FINALLY!  The moment we all lose sleep over in anticipation - the rut was on!!!  THEN at 3:00am all went quiet in the house when not a single bull could be heard snoring till, Mooooooo...  Mooooooo... Mooooooo....  A heard of cattle got dropped and shut then place down like a light switch got flipped.  Haven't heard a bugle at night since and the bulls I've been working have gone deeper in the canyons and quiet.  There's a few head of cattle in every canyon, every meadow and hillside for 100 square miles.  Love me some cows!!!

Keep getting after it to those still working hard to make it happen.  4th quarter on deck!

Just left 4A yesterday and it's pretty silent.  Had one bull bugle that walked in about 100 yards from us with about 5 cows.  That was the only one the last 5 days.  Saw several bulls all alone though.  Several lonely cows as well.  On a brighter note the holes all have water in them now.  Have the cow tag and thinking about heading back up tomorrow for the last day to try and get it done. Son has the youth cow tag up there as well in a couple weeks. 

• Like 1

Unit 8 was dead until Tuesday.  Bulls were heading straight to bed at daylight most of the hunt.  Chased them around Tuesday and Wed. pretty good.  Stupid weekend campers didn't help.  Racing up and down the roads on dirt bikes and side by sides.  One guy even told me he was sitting a tank and a side by side came over a hill cross country.  Spooked the elk that were just starting to come in.  Oh well, next time.

Since the rut activity was pretty dead during the archery hunt do you think it might still be going on for the youth hunt next week?  Son has the 4A tag and we were thinking with how warm it's been maybe the rut would still be going on

14 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

Since the rut activity was pretty dead during the archery hunt do you think it might still be going on for the youth hunt next week?  Son has the 4A tag and we were thinking with how warm it's been maybe the rut would still be going on

I have seen calves in the same unit that had to be born 4 to 6 weeks apart. So I would say till the end of Oct.

• Like 1

My son has had the youth hunt there the last 2 years and we never seen any rut activity during those hunts, but we were just hoping maybe this time we would.

15 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

My son has had the youth hunt there the last 2 years and we never seen any rut activity during those hunts, but we were just hoping maybe this time we would.

I was not referring to 4a, sorry. Just other units I have hunted and scouted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

So I should put in for 4b early rifle next year? Good to know.

Doesn’t exist! Thank God!