Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Sandhill Crane Hunters

If anyone is looking for a place to stay while hunting Sandhill Crane hunting down south I HIGHLY recommend staying at "Sandhill Crane Cottage".  The owner is very nice and the cottage is Amazing!  It's also 30 seconds from the roosting grounds.  520-210-1875

If you need a guide I used Josh with Fur2feathersaz (520-275-9246).  He is Awesome!!!!!!

• Like 2

Sandhill crane hunts are just around the corner.  If you need a place to stay call the Sandhill Crane cottage!  

If you need a guide call Josh with Fur2feathersaz.

I promise you won't regret either decision!!!!

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I'd like to do an of of state hunt in 2020.

Send me a PM.  If I’m not around to take you out in ND I can atleast line you up on some areas and you can use my deception decoys while you’re here.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Send me a PM.  If I’m not around to take you out in ND I can atleast line you up on some areas and you can use my deception decoys while you’re here.  

I'd maybe be interested in a trip someday.  What are the limits up there? Any other species open that could make a trip more justifiable?

34 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'd maybe be interested in a trip someday.  What are the limits up there? Any other species open that could make a trip more justifiable?

Pretty much everything is open when the crane hunting is best.  If you were trying to combo it I would come in mid October. Pheasant, grouse, partridge, duck and goose season would all be open then.  You can hunt cranes closer to AZ in TX and OK I believe.  I’m not sure how conducive that is to freelance hunting though as I’m guessing a lot of that land is leased so you’d be ahead to go with an outfitter.  Waterfowl hunts are surprisingly in expensive though, I would guess between $150-300 a day for a guided hunt down there and that would get you access and decoys etc.  might be cheaper to go that route then to drive all the way to ND.  No one in ND cares about cranes so most landowners will let you hunt for them so access is fairly easy to get.   The limit is 3 in ND and I believe the same all across the central flyway.  If you go to Saskatchewan it’s 5.  They’re dummer up there too!! 

• Like 1

Just Curious Yote with all of the different birds what is you favorite to cook and eat?

Of every thing I have tried grilled Crane is hands down the winner and it is not even close. Fried turkey would probably be a distant second.

1 hour ago, Little Creek Calls said:

Just Curious Yote with all of the different birds what is you favorite to cook and eat?

Of every thing I have tried grilled Crane is hands down the winner and it is not even close. Fried turkey would probably be a distant second.

Crane is wonderful.  Closest thing I can compare it to would be a real good beef sirloin.  My wife and I don’t buy meat at the store so I do miss fatty meat like a ribeye now and then and a good plucked corn fed mallard or a blue wing teal are what I use to scratch that itch.  Those specks in the pile are plucked up as well to go on the grill.  They are my favorite goose by far.  Snow geese are excellent but the skin is too thin and tears too easily to pluck them so the get breasted out for poppers or brats and jerky.  

• Like 2