BritSaz

Unit 22 Youth Hunt

First time here. Hope I'm doing this right 🤨. My son was drawn for a unit 22 any antlered youth deer tag. We are really excited but we are unfamiliar with this unit (we did sign up for the youth camp for 22/23 by Punkin). Any pointers would be helpful. This is his first big game hunt. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

First off do you know how to hunt? Do you have a tripod and a pair of 15s or good 12s? Do you know how to glass properly etc? Since there will be help at the youth camp, for now make sure you have adequate gear and make sure your boy can shoot up to 300 yards in the meantime.  And yes as stated above the AZ G&F website pretty much tells you where to start.   Everyone wants their kid to be successful but it's still hunting, get out there and keep at it.  Look up all you can on how to glass on the forum, it's all here.

• Like 4

The 22/23 youth camp is a great camp and there will be people more than happy to help you look for deer in 22 and get you started off on the right foot.

• Like 2

My son has this tag. I have hunted 22 before so I hope to turn up some bucks in the spots we hunted before. I am interested in the deer camp to see what that's all about though.  I reached out to the organizer so get some info.

Youth camp invites should be in your mail now if you didn't already get them.  Mine came a couple days ago.  

I am getting pumped for my boy's hunt next week! I hope to keep him engaged for the 4 days were're out there.  We'll be at the Punkin Center camp if anyone wants to say hi.

• Like 3

Good luck! Im gonna be in another unit with my son and Im excited to spend another week in the woods. 

On 9/7/2019 at 6:56 PM, BritSaz said:

First time here. Hope I'm doing this right 🤨. My son was drawn for a unit 22 any antlered youth deer tag. We are really excited but we are unfamiliar with this unit (we did sign up for the youth camp for 22/23 by Punkin). Any pointers would be helpful. This is his first big game hunt. Thanks in advance.

BritSaz,

I didn't get a chance to meet you at the 22/23 deer camp this last weekend, but how did it go for you and your son?

We had such a great time on my son's first big game hunt. The youth camp was AMAZING. Everyone was so nice. They were so willing to donate their time to help all the youth have a successful hunt and the food was delicious.

My dad was able to go with us on this hunt but he is used to hunting near Flagstaff in the pines so this was very different for him. 

Opening day we went out by ourselves just to see what we could do. We got a few pointers from the people at camp on where to start. My dad was not used to glassing he is used to hiking with little glassing. In 22 it was all about glassing and little hiking. We saw a couple white tail doe but nothing else. Day 2 we decided to have a mentor go with us. (He was amazing!) We were able to get on a couple bucks in the morning but they were already being stocked by two other hunters but we waited to see if they would come our way. The two othere hunters missed 6-7 times before the deer even ran the opposite way. Others are missing left and right. My son was getting discouraged because he couldn't even get a shot. I gave him a pep talk and he was ready again. 

Sunday was the last day we had our mentor. Same thing happened we glasses a buck and by the time we were ready to stock someone was already shooting at him and missed. We went back to camp dropped our mentor off ( he had to get back home) and grabbed a quick bite. We went back out by this time it was HOT we knew they would not be moving around so our best bet was to hike and jump one. We walked a couple miles up and down ridges and were heading back to the truck when a velvet spike jumped out of nowhere. We got my son set up on his shooting sticks by this time the buck was on the other side a ridge and moving fast my dad whistled and it stopped and looked. My son said "I have a shot" we told him to take it. 300 yards away, 1 shot dropped him where he stood. I was so proud of him. 

I am grateful my dad was able to be there and to pack that deer out a mile back to the truck 😜. I am grateful to our mentor and wish he could have been there to see it and i thankful for everone at camp that helped with whatever they needed. Now we are in Flagstaff helping my other son fill his cow tag. 

20191013_174928.thumb.jpg.563f6124b7422fdde148e9bb90406935.jpgIMG_1056.thumb.jpg.737a4f84a17ff22ae9aae84f911d055d.jpg

On 9/7/2019 at 6:56 PM, BritSaz said:

First time here. Hope I'm doing this right 🤨. My son was drawn for a unit 22 any antlered youth deer tag. We are really excited but we are unfamiliar with this unit (we did sign up for the youth camp for 22/23 by Punkin). We went scouting today in that area and didn't see anything. I am not looking for anyone "honey hole" just want an idea on where to start. This is his first big game hunt at 10 yrs old and I want to make it memorable for him. Thanks in advance.

• Like 23