More D

Home Water heater needed

I need a Home Gas 40gal water heater. Ours sprung a leak. It is the original one that came with the house nearly 20yrs old.

Can anyone recommend a brand?

Any specific brand I should stay away from?

I apologize as this is not an ad for something offered up for sale but I do know alot of us get these notifications so I am posting here.

36 minutes ago, More D said:

I need a Home Gas 40gal water heater. Ours sprung a leak. It is the original one that came with the house nearly 20yrs old.

Can anyone recommend a brand?

Any specific brand I should stay away from?

I apologize as this is not an ad for something offered up for sale but I do know alot of us get these notifications so I am posting here.

Sorry I don't know about brands, but we went tankless in our last house and were very happy with it. We bought a Bosch on amazon for about $500. Super easy install and worked very well for the 18mo before we moved. 

I suggest a Bradford-White H2O heater based on our 10 year experience with our 50 gallon model. 

Had it installed in '09.  It is in our garage and the garage door is open all the time.  I've had to light the pilot light once during that time.

I suggest draining it at least once a year, and ideally twice.  Also, install a tank tub or pan under it.  It might save a few headaches it it ever leaks.

Good luck,

Eddie

Bradford White is very popular.  Rheem is the other brand that I see a lot of.  They also make GE.  I am a home inspector and see a ton of them.  The catch pan is required if the water heater is on a common wall with the home.  I still see them all the time without and write it up every time.  If your shut-off valve is starting to show corrosion I would replace that at the same time.  Be careful if you decide to go tankless as a tankless water heater usually needs a larger gas supply line to operate properly.

I am all set up.

I wanted to go the tankless route but I quickly learned with the heads up here that that was not going to work out.

A really appreciate the responses. It is wonderful to have such a great group of knowledgable member on hand should the need arise.