Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Realistic Field Shooting

I have shot animals from 10 yards to 900 yards. I shoot a lot and will not take a shot at anything if I don’t feel 100 percent confident in the set up. I also will not take a long shot if I don’t have someone watching and that someone is my kid we both communicate very well with each other while in the scope. We owe it to the animals we hunt to make good decisions in the field!!

• Like 6

"We all have to know our limitations". Some people don't know what they don't know and it seems like you ran across shooters than hunters. Each person comes up different. If there was a school for people who didn't grow up hunting that would be great. 

In the old days I would write a mail order course on this very subject, with steps. It's interesting to read the comments and see how others have achieved their current level. Coach, websites like this, Long Range Hunting and the fad of 1,200 yard MOA groups take a novice from 0 to 200MPH in the blink of an eye which is good but sometimes leads to limited skills and that is on the person behind the trigger.

I have missed 2 big coues in the last 10 years both in Mexico, darn things ended up inside of 50 yards so I rushed it and missed them both.  For the long range stuff I have not missed in a quite awhile.  No bragging it is easy to practice far and tough to practice close, fast, and maxed out on adrenaline with a big fat scope.  For what it is worth I have shot almost everything from a sitting position.  The trips Mexico taught us petty quick that prone rarely works due to high grass and scrub brush everywhere.  Sitting seems to be quicker and easier to deal with any incline as well, at least in my experience.  

• Like 1

A few years back a good friend and myself went into a area we consider our backup spots depending on hunting pressure. Right off the bat maybe 15 minutes into daylight we had a herd of deer grazing. We closed the distance to both choke at 225 but both dropped our deer further out off hand. Mine was at 418 and his 376. Go figure, we have both dropped many deer at different ranges (50yrds - 500) and we choked at 225. We still laugh about it. It happens and practice is always a big plus.

Yeah, but some guys are just into long range.

nothing wrong with that.

im into bow hunting.  That’s just my thing.

im not going to criticize a guy for how he wants to get it done.

• Like 2

I personally won't shoot at a moving animal and I SUCK at off hand shooting.  With that said I kill a lot of animals, not because I'm good, it's because I'm patient and wait for the right situation.  My right situation may be different than others.  If I had to go on a hunt that only offered off hand shooting I would be MISERABLE!  I like my style of hunting.  If the situation isn't right, oh well.  We all need to know our own limitations and expectations!

• Like 3

On 9/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, Saguaro said:

Some of the realistic shooting we did would be practicing picking off golf ball or soft ball sized rocks on a hillside.  There were certain places we would go that had areas that were target rich and offered you uphill, downhill, and flat and level, near and far.  We would never vandalize any large rocks target shooting, the rocks would be blown to pieces if hit and would not disturb the hillside.  I still go to these areas as an adult and it brings memories back of when I was young and learned about holdover.  I thought it was the coolest thing, shooting a 22lr at 200 yards in the wind and had to aim high and to the right/left and have it hit what you’re aiming at.

This is how I learned to shoot. I don’t remember my dad missing too many shots with his weaver 3x9 on the 30-06. It wasn’t til I left home that I used a bench and learned how calculate drop.

• Like 1

I practice shooting between 545 and 1221 in sitting, kneeling positions.  Off packs, bipods, tripods, bipod/bipod combos, etc.  I don't really practice standing/offhand too much, because if I shoot offhand, it is usually going to be 200 or less.  Although, I used to practice standing with a hand on a branch or side of a tree quite a bit.  But offhand to me is only an option if sitting with front bipod won't work.  I have let a lot of game walk past 200 if I am not able to get sitting/kneeling.  Just my personal call.

I feel confident in sitting/kneeling positions with a good front rest out to 600 or so.  If I add a rear bipod/tripod, I am good to 900 on 8" targets.  

If I get prone....look out suckers.  I practice a lot out to 1700+, and a few rifles even to 2000+.  That is not a high percentage shot though.  But great wind reading practice.  If the bullet has 1800fps and 1000ft/lbs (1500ft/lbs for elk) you are in the danger zone on a calm day.  But, I don't think I would shoot at big game, even under perfect conditions, past 1000-1200 depending on what rifle I had.  That being said, my longest personal big game shot is "only" 662 yards.  488 is my second longest big game shot.  445 third.  Everything else that I can remember has been sub-200 yards.  My three longest big game shots have all been sitting/kneeling w. front bipod and some natural or other rear aid.  Draped over a downed log (488)/root ball of downed tree (662), or front/rear bipods (445).  

Wind is a whole different ballgame.  Even with my wind meter, I won't take shots much over 500 if it is blowing over 10mph.  10mph+, and I have passed on a LOT of probably make able shots.  I just feel like I personally need a 100% shot probability on big game.

Now coyotes??  I fling lead at them as far as I think the bullet will drop on them and ruin their day.  1 1327 & 2 @ 1365, still looking for that 1 mile shot.  All 3 were prone shots.  Tons of other prone, sitting w. Front bipod, or offhand.  

• Like 4

Lance, you are probably the most skilled shooter that I personally know (sort of) yet you show more restraint then dang near everyone including people with only a sliver of your talents.  Much respect and my hat goes off to you.  

Someday I'd like to tag along with you on a range day.

• Like 1

In the past 5 years Ive hit everything on purpose from 350-500 yards and miss one antelope with a scope coming lose!! But I practice from 500 yards to 1000 yards.   A few weeks ago in New Mexico with Stanley and Lances hunt I crawled 130 yards and the skin on my knees came off.  Had to sit at a sitting position and my back bipod head came off so that was out.  Then it was so flat I couldn't get a range on him.  I guessed 300 yards.  Missed.  The next day we spotted my buddies buck and drove toward him and the mean time my buck just ran in front of us.  Man the luck!  I  got out and try to do a stand up shooting shot at 100 yards and missed while he was running.  I got prone and he stopped in a perfect broadside shot.  My buddy called out 430 yard.  I dialed breath out and held my breath and pulled the trigger.  Nothing!!!  Crap in the excitement I forgot to chamber a round.  He took off.  I let my buddy take my truck and I was in pursuit.  Covered about 1/2 mile over the hill.  I got set up behind a pinon and again it was perfectly flat!  Couldn't range him.  Came up 20 yards or 600 yards.  Well he looked 300 yards!  Dial to that and shot over him.  Crap!!  He was lot closer than I thought.   Chased him up a hill.  My buddy called and told me he just shot his buck.  I was excited.  Hung up and then those antelope stood up and my buck.  Again I was in another flat spot.  Couldn't range.  He looked close to 100 yards.  Extended out my bipods and kneed.  Crap grass to high.  Can just see his horns.  He started moving and I thought maybe stand up and shoot.  Should of could of would of moment and he hurried up and started moving and I shot through the grass and missed.  This time he ran off and was gone.  Crap.   My buddy picked me up and we process his buck.  I spotted Lances Daughter buck they were after and called him in.  At this time we were heading home.  ON the way home buddy spots a massive heavy buck.  Same thing flattttttt!  I got on top of my truck and ranged him at 420.  Got off and ran to the fence.  Grass is to high for sitting.  But I had to put a knee down with no skin and put my gun on a wavy fence post.  It moved back and forth.  I shouldn't of shot but I did.  I could tell in the shot it was just over the back.  I went after him and got set up for a 700 yard shot.  I took my time for a good shooting position.  It was pretty flat, middle of the day, heat waves everywhere and a shaky hand kept saying 720 yards and 890 yard back and forth.  I saw 720 twice so it had to be that.  The wind died down and shot!  Way low.  He must of been 890 900 yards then.  I called it quits after that.  

Yeah many years of success but this time everything was against me and shooter error!   This year 6 missed shots I couldn't believe it      

If someone has an inkling to expand their skills here are a few things to try.

1. Shoot small bore silhouette. It's offhand and .22 out to 100 meters.

2. Shoot high power silhouette. Centerfire rifle calibers (no magnums) out to 500 meters.

3. Take your deer rifle and jump shoot jackrabbits.

4. Learn how to predator call for coyotes. Don't use a bipod to shoot from. Nothing like shooting a moving target offhand. Learn the habits and reactions of coyotes when they are coming into a call and what they do when they bust you.

No reason to limit yourselves to what makes you comfortable with a rifle.

• Like 3

Great ideas!  3 & 4 are huge nothing like a live target.  I would add going on a prairie dog shoot, repetition, not a fixed distance, and they move around. 

19 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Lance, you are probably the most skilled shooter that I personally know (sort of) yet you show more restraint then dang near everyone including people with only a sliver of your talents.  Much respect and my hat goes off to you.  

Someday I'd like to tag along with you on a range day.

Didn't we have a "range day" in January?  

Must have been another incredibly handsome gentlemen.  Although you were gonna do load development for me until I decided I didn't wanna lug around my heavy 7mm.