broadhead

Seating Die Contacting Tip of 143 ELD-X Bullets

**Edit** Did some more digging. Looks like I need the custom seating stem for the ELD-X bullets, don't I?

I just started reloading and ran into an issue that I'm not sure is normal or if I screwed up my die setup. I setup the seating die according to the Hornady instructions but when I run the bullet up after placing it in the mouth of the case the bullet tip contacts the die and blunts the tip just a little as it seats it. When I make further adjustments to the seating depth everything is smooth and easy like I expected it to be. Did I screw this up or is this normal? I feel like I must be ruining the bullet when that happens to the tip. Thanks!

yes, you need a seating stem designed for the longer bullets.  

Ok thanks. I have the new stem on the way. Frustrating...

Do you know if the custom stem will work for the Berger elite hunter bullets as well? Thanks again. 

8 minutes ago, broadhead said:

Ok thanks. I have the new stem on the way. Frustrating...

Do you know if the custom stem will work for the Berger elite hunter bullets as well? Thanks again. 

It will also work with the Berger’s. 

• Like 1

The new plunger should work for all of the VLD type bullets, that is what they are designed for so any Berger, Nosler, custom VLD bullets all of them apply. 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Hornady makes several "bullet specific" seating stems....good way to make more money.

Apparently. In general I really like Hornady's products but this one irked me a little. Oh well, not the end of the world.