Vinnie B

22S Last Night

So if I shoot a bull and cant find it, how long do I have to wait to shoot another bull?  Dont want opinions, was wondering what the law or G&F regs say??

3 hours ago, 520HUNT said:

So if I shoot a bull and cant find it, how long do I have to wait to shoot another bull?  Dont want opinions, was wondering what the law or G&F regs say??

Hunters morals and ethics should kick in and do the right thing. I shot one onetime about 30 minutes til dark knew I had a good hit looked for awhile that night and kept looking for 4 more days and found it dead. I kept the skull the meat was a loss! 

• Like 3

Well unfortunately a co-worker I know has already shot 4 bulls in unit 9, and we are only 5 days into the hunt.  He hasnt recovered any of them... I'm hoping he runs out of arrows soon!

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
  • Wow! 2

3 hours ago, 520HUNT said:

As far as I can tell, there are no guidelines that dictate how long you should look for a wounded/shot/downed animal.

A Big Game Tag allows you to "Take" the animal. 

In the Regs, under Ethics/Ethics with the Quarry:  "Make every possible effort to recover game"

From P68 in the 19/20 Regs: "Take, which means “to harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, or to attempt to engage in any such conduct"  is quite interesting. While it's used in the wolf section, if this same definition is used for the big game, once you shoot it, you have taken it. (However just pursuing it would also be considered taking it so.... Hard to tag a buck that you were simply stalking or chasing) 

And here it is:  P 104 also notes that "Take, as defined by law, includes pursuing, shooting, hunting and killing wildlife." (Seems to be how they make road hunting illegal)

And again:  P 108, definition #20. “Take” means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or placing or using any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in capturing or killing wildlife

P 126 Use of Tags  D. A person shall: 1. Take and tag only the wildlife identified on the tag. 

So, I can't find where shooting an elk, looking for it for less than 10 minutes is even as bad as throwing a chewing gum wrapper on the ground in the forest. It's spelled out and you have clearly committed a crime when the gum wrapper is tossed on the ground, but not for walking right by the elk on your way to shoot another one. Unless they consider killing an elk littering.

Sounds like it's an ethical call and we all know that the Ethics Police don't exist other than on TV and social media.

I'm sure this very issue has come up MANY MANY times before so maybe someone will chime in with some details from a past experience or better yet, maybe someone from GnF or other LEO could post. (We all know you are here)

1 minute ago, AZLance said:

Well unfortunately a co-worker I know has already shot 4 bulls in unit 9, and we are only 5 days into the hunt.  He hasnt recovered any of them... I'm hoping he runs out of arrows soon!

Someone needs a serious beatdown. And some archery lessons.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AZLance said:

I'm hoping he runs out of arrows soon!

Naw he'll just go into town and buy more, Ive seen it done many many years ago, and this stupid F video taped it. Unfortunately he came and got the video tape back before it could be handed off to G&F. I think we counted 11 bulls and one lion it was also in unit 9. bad part was he bragged about it for months.

46 minutes ago, AZLance said:

I hope your kidding?

51 minutes ago, AZLance said:

Only 4? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember a time when a member posted that he found an arrowed bull in 23n. Like 9 people contacted him that they lost bulls. The dam hunt only has 15 tags . 

• Like 2

Not kidding!  You guys are kidding yourself if you dont think this is happening in every open unit right now by multiple hunters! G&F needs to change the hunter questionnaire to say "How many Elk did you shoot and not recover?"

I was taught different... If I  shoot an animal and cant recover...my hunt is over.  But this is unfortunately not the mentality of most hunters who had to wait 10 years to draw their tag.  They feel entitled to keep hunting to fill their tag since they had to wait so long to get the tag.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Only 4? 

So far...he has the whole hunt off from work...so we could get to double digits before its over

• Like 1

Unfortunately, It happens way more than we all think. We all have heard people talk about shooting multiple animals I'm sure, just watching it go down was an entire different thing. With more people out and better optics it's safe to say someone is always watching.

I know a guy last year stuck 3, never recovered any.  He worked hard on all of them including one on video that looked like a perfect shot, only thing we can figure is leg came back and deflected the arrow's path back.  My son stuck one a few years ago that was a Xring shot and it did that.  It looked like such a great shot, typical 30-45min, ended up bumping her.  Let her go for another 4 hours and she was dead just over the next ridge.  I think one more bump and she might have just walked off.  Arrow went in perfect and got deflected back and to the brisket.  It can happen, but sounds like to me that G&F should raise their 35% harvest to actually closer to 100%.  If 35% actually kill and harvest and some % of them stick more than one and some % stick and don't harvest...  The math probably works out to 80-100% stuck.  Now what % live from that.  As we have all said, lower the tags!!!  Especially the baby makers!!

• Like 2

Elk hide/hair can soak up a lot of blood and not start bleeding onto the ground for a long time. 

Sometimes people look on the ground too much instead of on waist high vegetation, especially within the first 100 yards or so.

• Like 1