Vinnie B

22S Last Night

Wow, I had a topic about this. How many animals go unfound, do to bad tracking. And the guy in unit 9 that's bullcrap. He needs to go home..

• Like 2

The guy is a complete douche & needs to put his bow away & go home. That is just selfish & ridiculous to wound that many animals & keep hunting!! If he was my co-worker he would be getting a lesson in ethics as well as archery lessons whether he wanted them or not!!

1 hour ago, goinhuntn said:

The guy is a complete douche & needs to put his bow away & go home. That is just selfish & ridiculous to wound that many animals & keep hunting!! If he was my co-worker he would be getting a lesson in ethics as well as archery lessons whether he wanted them or not!!

Oh he has got the ethics talk...like 3 years ago when he did same thing in 3A/C... that's why I dont hunt with him!  But this is not just this guy, but hundreds of others doing the same thing in other units. Talked to a guy in the archery shop before the hunts who was bragging about shooting 6 bulls on his last hunt in 5A... wonder how many he has shot this hunt?

The reason I bring these up, is because G&F needs to hopefully calculate this into their numbers and this might explain some of the declining  elk numbers...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

After the second one, I would hang it up.  

haha

it took me 8 shots(MISSES) before I finally hung it up one year.

like my 2nd or third year of archery hunting so would have been 84/85. was up in big springs Wife me and the dog. Bachelor herd of about 8-10 bucks all kinda decent but not huge, I'm a piss poor shot with a bow on Animals targets I have no issues. so we are at camp sitting and bullshitting in the evening, bachelor herd walks by 20 yards from camp. I grab my bow fired miss fired miss all 6 f'n arrows in my quiver (ranges 20-40 yards) walk over to the herd the slowly move, pick up 2 more arrows and shoot missed all. Said F' it tossed the bow on the ground  walked back to a wife laughing her butt off ate and went to bed.

Next morning I got up late. 2 bucks sitting by camp on the road. 5 yards from the truck. Forgot the bow was about 60 yards away(but I did have Arrows). Wife again laughing went back to bed. The following day I hit 2 in the Antlers. went home a few days later cause I lost every f'n arrow and bought a sight and more arrows.. That didnt help much haha

ah the good old days

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't mean the second "miss".  Trust me, I have missed plenty.  One evening in a treestand, I missed a coyote, turkey, AND the biggest buck I have ever released an arrow at.

I meant 2nd animal I hit and did not recover.  (Knock on wood)  I have been lucky to this point to have never hit and not recovered a big game animal.  (Doves don't count).  The first hit and never found animal, I would look for a minimum of 48 hours.  And more than likely keep an eye out for birds even after that while hunting the same area.  

I have been on an elk hunt (not my own) where the hunter shot a bull elk with a 7RM from approximately 80-100 yards.  Bull took off at the shot.  Luckily, 12 hours of fresh snow was on the ground, making tracking easy.  In 4+ miles and 4+ hours, I found a single drop of blood.  Found a spot when he bedded in the snow, nothing else.  Finally merged in with a bunch of other tracks and he was gone.  Looked for 2 days for him and birds.  I have no clue where the shot hit to this day.  I am certain he survived.  

I have also been present on two different bulls that had old arrows completely through the chest cavity and had healed around them.  One was just a shaft, the second had a broadhead stuck in the offside rib that has a mass of hard tissue that had formed around it.  Sometimes, elk are just hard to kill.

I have been called from buddies in the field that could not find game and made a trip up as far as 6 hours to help look.  I am 3 for 4 in recovering their game.  

• Like 2

Well...I just got the text today...he is now up to 5 bulls shot and not found. All I can do is shake my head! Some hunters are just hopeless...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AZLance said:

Well...I just got the text today...he is now up to 5 bulls shot and not found. All I can do is shake my head! Some hunters are just hopeless...

He doesnt qualify as a hunter. F****** Douc#***, absolutely!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AZLance said:

At least he’s getting shots 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Yeah, I don't mean the second "miss".  Trust me, I have missed plenty.  One evening in a treestand, I missed a coyote, turkey, AND the biggest buck I have ever released an arrow at.

I meant 2nd animal I hit and did not recover.  (Knock on wood)  I have been lucky to this point to have never hit and not recovered a big game animal.  (Doves don't count).  The first hit and never found animal, I would look for a minimum of 48 hours.  And more than likely keep an eye out for birds even after that while hunting the same area.  

I have been on an elk hunt (not my own) where the hunter shot a bull elk with a 7RM from approximately 80-100 yards.  Bull took off at the shot.  Luckily, 12 hours of fresh snow was on the ground, making tracking easy.  In 4+ miles and 4+ hours, I found a single drop of blood.  Found a spot when he bedded in the snow, nothing else.  Finally merged in with a bunch of other tracks and he was gone.  Looked for 2 days for him and birds.  I have no clue where the shot hit to this day.  I am certain he survived.  

I have also been present on two different bulls that had old arrows completely through the chest cavity and had healed around them.  One was just a shaft, the second had a broadhead stuck in the offside rib that has a mass of hard tissue that had formed around it.  Sometimes, elk are just hard to kill.

I have been called from buddies in the field that could not find game and made a trip up as far as 6 hours to help look.  I am 3 for 4 in recovering their game.  

I knew what you meant. I had just remembered that I called it quits once too.

I am a one and done guy. Shot a really nice one in 12a west I think it was 92 with a rifle tag. Couldnt find it none of us could I looked the whole season plus 3 more 4 day weekends to No avail. 3 people with me saw me hit it twice as well as 2 other guys from New mexico. we had lots of people looking even there friends camp out and looked a few days.

Next year I got drawn again same tag. took a buddy from work up there with me he never hunted and always wanted too. Opening morning we were standing in the same spot glassing deer, I told him where I shot mine. He later went to the edge of the cliff to look over it. Then goes is that it in the top of the tree. stupid deer must have jumped off the cliff and into the top of a huge scrub oak, his rack stuck out plain as day sitting in the top of the tree all bleached out about 50 or so foot down. I couldn't offer him enough money to sell it back to me. heck even threatened to fire him and his wife and that didnt work either  ;)

He had never been hunting let alone in the the wilderness. he was pretty pumped. That was a long drive home.

Last time I ever shot a 25-06 too, I have to brand spanking new rugers never fired from the 90s one in a ruger #1 and one it a laminated stock ss varmit when they 1st came out. working on loads now for my rifle deer hunt in nov. kinda hesitant about using it because of what happened way back when. granted the shot was at 40 yards using hot loads and the wrong bullets. They didnt expand just blew a hole through him twice. it was my bad for using those bullets

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, AZLance said:

I wish he worked for me. 

9 hours ago, AZLance said:

You, as a fellow hunter, should have told him to STOP after #3 at the latest.  This is just asinine. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AZLance said:

Well...I just got the text today...he is now up to 5 bulls shot and not found. All I can do is shake my head! Some hunters are just 

72bdbce3a5ff04ebf49c0f21123c475f.jpg.54ba5933e5afa2c282eadf0730963e2a.jpg