goinhuntn

Wounding bulls

Not going to be the ethics police, but I find it sad to read about the bulls being wounded! The guy in unit 9 on a previous thread wounding 4 bulls, 2 bulls in 22s supposedly shot by the same hunter & than I find out today from a buddy 2 guys he knows have wounded 2 bulls in 27. It’s crazy 8 bulls wounded & not a single one recovered. I don’t know the circumstances of each of these shots, but I would hope guys are taking ethical shots. My gut feeling is people are flinging arrows well beyond their ability, but like I stated  I don’t know the circumstances of each shot. I know there is way more bulls wounded than we will ever know about!! I just think its sucks for the animals & all of us hunters. I put in for an early archery tag first choice & late rifle 2nd choice. I drew the late rifle & have been & will continue to practice to make a clean shot. If I had of drawn early archery the same would’ve applied with practicing. 

• Like 2

I gutted one a few years back that had a jacked up rib and one lung that was dang near split in half from a previous shot. The hide was pretty tough around the broken rib so im guessing he was shot and laid down and lived through it.

Dang I thought this topic was the best ways to wound bulls! I wanted to give my top ten methods. Kind of a of a catch and release for big game animals.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’d say if the anti hunters were reading this thread, which I’m sure they will, it adds more fuel to their plan of banishing hunting. Not saying it’s ethical to leave wounded animals but as the other thread asks, how long do we wait and search for the wounded animal? I’ve killed animals with bullets and a broad head in them and they didn’t look hurt at all. 

• Like 2

I hate leaving wounded game, I mean I'll look for a freaking quail for an hour.  I don't think there is ever going to be a definitive right and wrong here, each hunter has to be there own moral guide based on the hit and situation.  But two thoughts here...  I'll take my chances at under 50 yards with my bow vs over 500 with a rifle like these long range guys are trying to do and wounding animals they don't even know they wounded and be fair to the animal and give it a good effort. Not 10min like the 22S guy or hit 5 like the unit 9 guy on the other thread.  

So quit shooting 80+ with your bow. That animal can take 2-3 steps in that arrow flight and not be even close to an ethical shot and quit shooting 800 yards with your rifle.  You have no fn clue if you even hit or miss most of the time and you have to go over there anyway.   Oh that's right if they don't drop you don't have to.   I forgot that lesson in the long range hunting (it isn't hunting, it's shooting until you hit something) class.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

"i don't get drawn anymore for rifle, to many ya-hoos out there" "Guess i'll start bow hunting!!!" "hey  look, this bow and sight combo has me dialed-in at 100yds!!!"...

"yeah, i'm a Bow hunter"...

Bet the vast number of wounded animals come from these folks...

1 minute ago, oneshot said:

"i don't get drawn anymore for rifle, to many ya-hoos out there" "Guess i'll start bow hunting!!!" "hey  look, this bow and sight combo has me dialed-in at 100yds!!!"...

"yeah, i'm a Bow hunter"...

Bet the vast number of wounded animals come from these folks...

I'd be willing to bet theres even more with rifle.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest oneshot

I have killed and recovered EVERY animal i've ever shot at, bow or rifle... with over 100 deer falling to my recurve...

Taking ONLY a perfect shot, non-aware animal, correct angle/range...

I have passed on 100's of deer, some at touching distance, can things go wrong??? yes, but we owe it to the aniamls, and ourselves to only take sure killing shots... otherwise YOU are the "ya-hoo"...

Guest oneshot
2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'd be willing to bet theres even more with rifle.  

"I got the new 6.5 wacker, with hands-free scope and laser, .232 groups at 500yds"  "ballistic app down-loaded and ready"

"Yeah, I'm a rifle hunter"

50 minutes ago, jdown said:

I hate leaving wounded game, I mean I'll look for a freaking quail for an hour.  I don't think there is ever going to be a definitive right and wrong here, each hunter has to be there own moral guide based on the hit and situation.  But two thoughts here...  I'll take my chances at under 50 yards with my bow vs over 500 with a rifle like these long range guys are trying to do and wounding animals they don't even know they wounded and be fair to the animal and give it a good effort. Not 10min like the 22S guy or hit 5 like the unit 9 guy on the other thread.  

So quit shooting 80+ with your bow. That animal can take 2-3 steps in that arrow flight and not be even close to an ethical shot and quit shooting 800 yards with your rifle.  You have no fn clue if you even hit or miss most of the time and you have to go over there anyway.   Oh that's right if they don't drop you don't have to.   I forgot that lesson in the long range hunting class.

Wanna know how I know not to shoot game at 80+ yards with a bow?!?!

50 YEARS OF BOWHUNTING!!!!

• Like 2