goinhuntn

Wounding bulls

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I'd be willing to bet theres even more with rifle.  

guys hit them with rifles in 22 from 1000 yards and dont even look for sign because the bulls dont look hit hard 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oneshot said:

I have killed and recovered EVERY animal i've ever shot at, bow or rifle... with over 100 deer falling to my recurve...

youre probably the only person in the world that can say that.

• Like 5

This is just one good reason the horn quality of the bulls has declined in units 27 and 1 over the last few years. Particularly all the bulls killed or wounded in the late hunt with +500' rifle shots. Game warden told me a few years ago he found 11 dead bulls that no one ever recovered from apparently long cross canyon shots in the late gun hunt.

• Like 1

I hear that ,,My comfort archery  shot is 40 yards..  50 yards  I will consider.. 60yrds I wont even pull , I will use my ninja skills to get closer... I  consider  myself a  good shot with one of the best rigs..... but I do know my limitations....plus tracking animals for miles is hard work and packing them out is even harder.. Lets be responsible .. I visualize hitting a paper plate …. If I could  hit it with energy game down... If not  I let it walk and Ill shake my head for days and wonder what could of been if I could of just got closer...

I unfortunately know of people who have put in for archery elk, got drawn, then go buy a bow, having never shot a one until then.  Between that and the guys that don't practice with their bow until 3 weeks before the hunt, slap some broadheads on(without shooting them), and saying they're ready to go, I'm not surprised we don't hear more stories of wounding elk.  Some guys have no business being out in the woods with a bow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaymzth007 said:

I unfortunately know of people who have put in for archery elk, got drawn, then go buy a bow, having never shot a one until then.  Between that and the guys that don't practice with their bow until 3 weeks before the hunt, slap some broadheads on(without shooting them), and saying they're ready to go, I'm not surprised we don't hear more stories of wounding elk.  Some guys have no business being out in the woods with a bow.

my friend did that last year. i grinded on him every week to get out and practice but he would only go every once in a while and shoot a few arrows. missed 8 times and wounded 1. waited years for a tag, didnt get anything. 

3 hours ago, oneshot said:

I have killed and recovered EVERY animal i've ever shot at, bow or rifle... with over 100 deer falling to my recurve...

You’ve seriously NEVER missed a shot? That’s very impressive...

• Like 1

I've never missed a shot when I killed something--and most of those were one shot kills, all the other shots just supported or led up to that one shot.  I think that what he meant.  It's all semantics! 

On my last archery bull hunt I got buck fever so bad that I clean missed a bull at 17 yards.  (Yup, I'm actually admitting to that!! 🙄)   Wasn't for lack of experience or practice.  Simply is my nature to get EXTREME buck fever in most shooting situations, rifle or bow.  I haven't put in for an archery tag since.  

Recently I've found that I get much more enjoyment hunting with my children or friends, gladly playing the glasser/Sherpa role.  Would rather sit back and spectate as one of them kills something (or not), as opposed to me being on the trigger.  Animals are better off that way.  They're better shots than I am anyway. ;)

S.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot
32 minutes ago, bigorange said:

You’ve seriously NEVER missed a shot? That’s very impressive...

Every deer i've shot at, arrow or bullet, i've killed and recovered... 

if i'm not 100% positive of a kill shot, i'm not taking it, no matter how big the animal...

i have passed to many shots to count, that i'm sure others would have taken...

Guest oneshot
2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

youre probably the only person in the world that can say that.

I know many that have killed alot more then me with a recurve/or wheelie... some have lost very few to wounding, some have lost more then is comfortable hearing about...

There are a lot of guys , rifle and archery, that choose great ethics all the time. We can’t let the few guys with no ethics ruin it for  everyone. This topic seems to be dividing everyone when we should be standing together and teaching our ethics to the newer hunters and those who are not displaying any ethics. 

• Like 2