goinhuntn

Wounding bulls

Guest oneshot
57 minutes ago, mattys281 said:

I think you raise another excellent point with the tracking.  A bad hit with a tough tracking job can be soul crushing and demoralizing.  It’s easy to want to quit.  I’ve been on a couple that took hours and hours to finally find the animal.  At times I thought his is pointless why bother?  Kept going anyway and recovered them.

I think one of the best things a person can do in this situation is call for help.  Your buddy will be less emotional and more rational than you when they arrive on scene, plus having another person participate helps keep the motivation up to keep trying.  It’s much harder for a person to quit in front of someone else than it is when you’re alone.  My hunting partner has been crucial in helping me recover a couple animals.  Could I have done it alone?  Probably.  But it was much easier and quicker with the help.

Always better to back -out and get help if you don't hear/see the animal crash-down, if you don't have the skills to track game... but everyone has the skills...right???

On 9/19/2019 at 6:19 PM, goinhuntn said:

Not going to be the ethics police, but I find it sad to read about the bulls being wounded! The guy in unit 9 on a previous thread wounding 4 bulls, 2 bulls in 22s supposedly shot by the same hunter & than I find out today from a buddy 2 guys he knows have wounded 2 bulls in 27. It’s crazy 8 bulls wounded & not a single one recovered. I don’t know the circumstances of each of these shots, but I would hope guys are taking ethical shots. My gut feeling is people are flinging arrows well beyond their ability, but like I stated  I don’t know the circumstances of each shot. I know there is way more bulls wounded than we will ever know about!! I just think its sucks for the animals & all of us hunters. I put in for an early archery tag first choice & late rifle 2nd choice. I drew the late rifle & have been & will continue to practice to make a clean shot. If I had of drawn early archery the same would’ve applied with practicing. 

We know what you mean, but knowing the difference between ethics and morals will be to your advantage.  Ethics means following external rules whereas morals means following one's own opinions or convictions regarding right or wrong behavior. 

I don't consider taking long or questionable shots moral actions, but doing so isn't against the law so therefore taking those shots isn't "unethical". 

I agree with what you meant however...