Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Colt suspends production of AR-15 for civilian market

I can't say that I am too surprised. Colt has been in a precarious position for nearly 20 years now (as far as civilian sales go). Their standard ARs don't differentiate themselves from other manufacturers. They launched their retro series (at $2500 a gun). Those haven't sold well at all - especially with Troy and Brownells selling retro rifles of equal quality for under $1K. 

For 2019, Colt started roll marking their carbines as M4s. My buddy went to buy one, but couldn't find any. Everyone still had guns in stock from 2016-2018. That means that those with the new rollmark are at distributors....sitting. 

• Like 2

The ar-market is flooded, its not worth colts time to make ar-15s they can concentrate on military sales. No money in public sales cause there's just too many people making them for dirt cheap.

Still its a shitty move if what the news agency's say is true on there reasoning but if I recall Smith and Wesson(certain guns) did that and so did Springfield armory in the 80's with the ca ban

• Like 2

Piss on em. The reason is BS. They have their own interests in mind. They need to distance themselves from the evil AR-15. Plenty of other quality/better manufactures to chose from that wont cave to what's politicly fashionable. 

1 hour ago, ctafoya said:

Plenty of other quality/better manufactures to chose from

Actually there isnt, there is a bunch of f'n hacks out there making Junk wannabe ars.

Colts Quality and a FEW others is dang good. Colt followed the Military Specs like a FEW others do. There Quality control like a FEW others is top notch per Military specs.

When you start changing sizes and dimensions different materials parts wont fit with other parts of the  same type of weapon causing Jams,  mags not fitting bolt failure etc etc. Ive seen it all with aftermarket JUNK and there is a reason for it. NO Quality Control using the cheapest material to make a buck cause some fool will buy them if its cheap enough when a gun craze is going on.

Sure the some of the other Manufactures work and may look nicer , a few improved modifications but there working off a modified version that they tested. But COLT and the Handful of others that are working to Military specs are making good parts and firearms To SPEC as required via the Military.

• Like 1

Alot of ARs dont have crome bores. Colts do. Other than that they are a bit high priced. Buy the specialty assembly tools and for pretty cheap you can assemble a very quality rifle with all the options you are looking for.

4 hours ago, Explorer said:

Alot of ARs dont have crome bores. Colts do. Other than that they are a bit high priced. Buy the specialty assembly tools and for pretty cheap you can assemble a very quality rifle with all the options you are looking for.

And "IF" you know what you are doing and get all the parts from a plethora of manufacturers that work together you will end up with a Colt Clone that you can feed anything with Glock reliability, maybe.

Never had a FTF, Jam or FTE with a Colt. NEVER. And that includes the whole gambit of commercial ammo but don't take my word for it. I can't chance any of that happening so I chose to go straight to the "Gold Standard" when I made the decision to jump on board and never looked back. I have friends with Smiths, Sigs and a slew of other ones that were less value and they are not 1000% as reliable as a Colt. I just wish they came with a better trigger.

Payed 1500 bucks for a  monolithic flat top colt AR back when Obuma was elected. Limited production item. When i took it apart the lower reciever was still full of metal chips from cnc process. A fine rifle indeed and like i said one of the few with a crome bore. But Colt was cutting corners to produce in a time of potential ban.

1 hour ago, Explorer said:

Payed 1500 bucks for a  monolithic flat top colt AR back when Obuma was elected. Limited production item. When i took it apart the lower reciever was still full of metal chips from cnc process. A fine rifle indeed and like i said one of the few with a crome bore. But Colt was cutting corners to produce in a time of potential ban.

The chips didnt happen from the cnc process, it more than likely happened after they were put together and there was some chips on the shipping bench that fell in.

heres why

parts are machined, then tumbled or blasted, then cleaned, then inspetion then goto plating, then goto assembly many procees's after the cnc process. depending on what the chips looked like.

when you have a production job going its hard to cut corners as one puts it because everything is working perfectly for years to begin with. Every process has to be tied in

15 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

friday a 42 million dollar allies deal for colt was signed.  surprise.

https://thedefensepost.com/2019/09/20/colt-contract-m4-m4a1-13-countries/

no Surprise at all, seeling to the public vs selling to gov contract hands down government project, public is not Guarenteed sales gov is.

I figured that was the case, the media made up the bullshit. about colt caving.

Colt announced on Thursday that it would pause production of consumer AR-15 rifles due to “significant excess manufacturing capacity” in the civilian sporting market.