Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Colt suspends production of AR-15 for civilian market

6 hours ago, Delw said:

The chips didnt happen from the cnc process, it more than likely happened after they were put together and there was some chips on the shipping bench that fell in.

heres why

parts are machined, then tumbled or blasted, then cleaned, then inspetion then goto plating, then goto assembly many procees's after the cnc process. depending on what the chips looked like.

when you have a production job going its hard to cut corners as one puts it because everything is working perfectly for years to begin with. Every process has to be tied in

Having worked in a few machine shops. I am aware of the machine procedures.  Mine was sent back for rework on the grip area with machined away from the grip area and the notched trigger control  group. So it had chips in areas that lacked anodize and or plating. On the plus side I sold it for 1k more than payed for to the paranoia of the time.

Gunbroker - Anderson lowers hovering around $40. The rest you can build inexpensively from Midway. I'm filling my safe before the next election.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Explorer said:

Having worked in a few machine shops. I am aware of the machine procedures.  Mine was sent back for rework on the grip area with machined away from the grip area and the notched trigger control  group. So it had chips in areas that lacked anodize and or plating. On the plus side I sold it for 1k more than payed for to the paranoia of the time.

So it was rework, nothing to do with colt cutting corners, kinda sucks they didnt pay attention to the chips,

Colt claimed bankruptcy after the greatest gun run in history (Obama's Presidency). They aren't the great company all the homers think they are. Mil spec isn't always a top notch standard and chrome lining isn't all indicative of quality either. Colts are good but have been better and aren't the end all, be all of ARs. 

1 hour ago, BeardownAZ said:

They aren't the great company all the homers think they are. Mil spec isn't always a top notch standard and chrome lining isn't all indicative of quality either.

Never said they were . They have there flaws like alot of companies.

Mil spec standards are all we have. we meaning the machining/manufacturing industry.  I am assuming you dont know what mil spec means it has nothing to do with guns and its not a size or tolorance.

everything to do with standard practices and procedures. There is NO other general standard as no one makes such a thing. some companies have there own standard but generally reference Mil standards. The rest of them just have someone make the part to there blue print and wonder why it doesn't fit with a mating part.

if more commercial , medical companies would reference mil specs in there blue prints it would save a ton of time and a ton of scrap parts, kinda of a waste of time when you have to call a company and ask for max fillet and edge breaks, roundness , and run out info. then wait 2 days for there engineer to get back  a hold of you and go ummmmmmm I have no clue we were never asked that question before. you explain it to him and then he goes oh thats why the parts dont mate perfectly flat. now I understand and we have to force them or touch them up at our shop.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:25 PM, Delw said:

Never said they were . They have there flaws like alot of companies.

Mil spec standards are all we have. we meaning the machining/manufacturing industry.  I am assuming you dont know what mil spec means it has nothing to do with guns and its not a size or tolorance.

everything to do with standard practices and procedures. There is NO other general standard as no one makes such a thing. some companies have there own standard but generally reference Mil standards. The rest of them just have someone make the part to there blue print and wonder why it doesn't fit with a mating part.

if more commercial , medical companies would reference mil specs in there blue prints it would save a ton of time and a ton of scrap parts, kinda of a waste of time when you have to call a company and ask for max fillet and edge breaks, roundness , and run out info. then wait 2 days for there engineer to get back  a hold of you and go ummmmmmm I have no clue we were never asked that question before. you explain it to him and then he goes oh thats why the parts dont mate perfectly flat. now I understand and we have to force them or touch them up at our shop.

Yes buddy,  I'm well aware of mil spec standards and what they are, but thanks