Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Youth hunting round

So next year Im putting my 10 year old daughter for deer and elk.  Im a tikka fan and I would love to get the Swede 6.5x55 but they are hard to find.  I already have creedmoor set up for reloading, so just thinking about getting  a regular tikka 6.5 creedmoor.  How less of a recoil is it really if I go with 120 grains than 140 grains.  Im thinking probably not much.  I would love to go with 120s or 130s.  Any thoughts trying to get biggest gun with best recoil.  

• Like 1

Muzzle brake.  All the way.  Taylor has been shooting (on occasion) my .300RUM since she was 11.  And the 6.5SS is a pea shooter with one.

How did you do with ear protection.  I know in the heat of the moment a non muzzle break doesn't ring my ears.  But a break it doesn't matter.  But I always keep ear plugs in my pocket

Not much difference between a. 130-140 An experienced shooter could tell a difference doubt a kid would.  How the gun is set up will be a bigger difference.  I have a 12lb and 8lbs 6.5-06.  The lighter one definitely bucks more.  For kids light guns aren’t always the best.  I bought my kid a light/ short 20 gauge when he started dove hunting.  That gun beat the chit out of him, bruised his shoulder, my 12 gauge kicked less.  

As said above muzzle break solves the recoil problem.

My small 11 year old will be shooting a 9lbs 300winmag with a break this year. 

Last year she shot a 8lbs 280 rem. With no issues 

• Like 1

I started my boys with short bbl light rifles in 243 and 7/08.  I learned my lesson and  12 years later My daughter started with a broken 270wsm. I do ensure hearing protection for her but have been next to her on two elk and next to my wife with that gun and my broken 300why on two elk and noise has not been a problem for me.  what's that? Haha  really not too bad in the field.   

One cartridge that you don't hear to much about anymore that would make a good starter is the .257 Roberts, to light for elk, but would be excellent for Deer and Javelina and antelope. I had one and it was a little light for what I wanted it for, so it was quickly rebarreled to 6.5x55.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, jdown said:

I started my boys with short bbl light rifles in 243 and 7/08.  I learned my lesson and  12 years later My daughter started with a broken 270wsm. I do ensure hearing protection for her but have been next to her on two elk and next to my wife with that gun and my broken 300why on two elk and noise has not been a problem for me.  what's that? Haha  really not too bad in the field.   

How do you shoot a "broken" rifle?  Or do you mean "braked"?  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tikka still makes a 6.5x55 which I am considering for my son.

If you want to stay with a true short action though I would look at 7-08 or 6.5 creedmoor. 

I personally love 6.5x55 so I will probably go that route, but for me 7-08 is still in the running.  With a muzzle brake or suppressor recoil will be a non-issue. 

Just use a reduced load for the gun.   H4895 will allow you to reduce the load by up to 60%.   I've used it for my kids and it makes a big difference and then you can make them hotter as they get older and can handle the recoil.   From what I've seen the accuracy is still really good but the FPS drops as needed.   You might just have to get close to whack the critter......but you will probably have to do that anyways. 

For all 3 of my kids I had them shooting a reduced loads in a 280 Rem. Usually a 100 gr bullets at about 2600 fps. With a little load juggling I could get them to zero an at 100 yds with their hunting loads zero. I'd give them the real thing (160 gr @ 2900 fps at the time) during the hunt and they never knew the difference. They could shoot dozens of the reduced loads at a time before they were 10.

• Like 1