Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Youth hunting round

I’m in the same boat with my daughter turning 10 next year as well. I’m going to go with a 25 or 6.5 creedmoor. I bought a 30 cal can, so that will be used as well. If you buy a can buy a larger cal one so it can go on all the rifles. 

The 243 Tikka T3 has killed more deer than any gun I own, as most of my kids have killed at least one deer with it.  Worked great every time.  My 19 y.o took a mulie with it a few weeks ago.  He doesn't care that people think the 243 is a kid/youth gun.  He could have used one of my 308's or a 30-06 or whatever, but he is super confident in that Tikka..  That Tikka .243 flat gets it done for $550 or so.  Great trigger and all my kids shoot it very well.

(I have 6 kids so it's been shot a lot).

Also have a T3X in 6.5 CM that is a mild shooter.  Hornady 143 ELDX killed two mule deer just fine.  If I were buying a new youth gun today I might just go 6.5 CM.

When my son was younger had him shooting a Rem MOD7 7-08 with 130gr reduced loads. Its a nice way to go. Should be able to workup a reduced 6.5C 130gr handload

I was a big supporter of the 7-08 but with all the factory produced rounds for the 6.5 that would be my new go to.  They have rounds now that do all you need them to do. Even for elk. 

I would go (I hate to say it) with a 6.5 Creedmoor.  A 6.5SLR is real similar to a 6.5CM.  And Taylor has been slaying some game with hers....sneak peak from today...454 yards.

20191122_093822.thumb.jpg.0e70f12c58a36cb6c4bb7245009b7440.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

Beautiful Buck,would make a nice Xmas card.