Sign in to follow this  
andrewmilich

need help... never mounted a rail before...maybe gunsmith recommendations

Guys I have a Remington 700 and putting a new scope and mount on.  Currently, the rifle does not have a rail on it.  I am looking for a rail and think i have settled on Picatinny Rail Scope Mount.  thoughts?  Should I have a gun smith mount that or is it doable on my own.  I am handy (fyi)  but worried about having to bed it.  Any gunsmith suggestions in North Phoenix

Don’t pay a gun Smith for that. I have a wheeler torque wrench you can borrow if you like.there are several videos on bedding a rail

If you are available today or tomorrow, I can slap it on, mount the scope, and bore sight it for you.  Have all the right tools.  Mounted probably 100 or so scopes and bases over the last few years.  R700s are easy.  Cost you a 12 pack of Redbull.  PM me if you are interested.  I am up near Sportsman's Warehouse area, I-17 & 101.

• Like 4

He is talking about Lance's personal scopes. They are all crazy high end super clear scopes and will make you feel bad about your own scope. 

Lance mounted a scope for me awhile back and I learned a few things. I have since bought my own wheeler mounting tools. You can use them if you need them. I am near arrowhead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

P.S. a rail is a good choice if that is what you want. Get a good rail, and a good set of rings, mount it all correctly, and you will be rock solid. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hoss50 said:

P.S. a rail is a good choice if that is what you want. Get a good rail, and a good set of rings, mount it all correctly, and you will be rock solid. 

I bought a good rail and good rings.  And I now see why you all are busting his balls 

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

If you are available today or tomorrow, I can slap it on, mount the scope, and bore sight it for you.  Have all the right tools.  Mounted probably 100 or so scopes and bases over the last few years.  R700s are easy.  Cost you a 12 pack of Redbull.  PM me if you are interested.  I am up near Sportsman's Warehouse area, I-17 & 101.

Lance when mounting a rail do you feel bedding is necessary?

Depends on the rail and action.  You can usually tell pretty quick if the rail fits correctly.  

If it does fit well, I do not feel the need to bed it.  I do not think it has effected accuracy that I have noted.  

Higher quality rails have never given me any issues.  Seekins, NF, Badger Ordinance, EGW, etc.  

There isn't a Remington 700 that is straight and there isn't a rail made that is straight. With that said, bed that rail don't just "slap it on"!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1