Nov 15-21             Muzzy                300 Coues

Nov 22-28           Youth Rifle           250 Any Antlered

Nov 29-Dec 8       Rifle                   525 Coues

Dec 13-31              Rifle                   150 Coues

Dec 13-Dec 31      Archery               Unlimited

Jan 1-31                 Archery              Unlimited

3,225 tags plus all 3 archery hunts

• Wow! 3

My concern is the fact that I usually have to wait 6 to10 years to draw an archery bull tag and when I am finally successful getting a tag, I have to dance cheek to cheek with 150-200 cow elk hunters at the same time. Frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If you compare the number of hunters in our units to another state like Colorado we don’t have the crowding issues they have.   I’ve never been on a hunt in AZ that I felt crowded.   Running into other hunters but not crowders.  And I know it’s not possible for everyone but after Sunday noon the woods are almost empty, thus hunting the weekdays are best.  

On 9/26/2019 at 10:17 PM, CouesFanatic said:

Unit 33 is the ridiculous one:

Aug 23-Sep 12       Archery          Unlimited

Oct 11-17               Youth Rifle       250 Any Antlered

Oct 18-24              Rifle                  425 Coues

Oct 25-Oct 31      Rifle                   475 Coues

Nov 1-7                 Rifle                    325 Muley

Nov 8-14               Rifle                    525 Coues

Nov 15-21             Muzzy                300 Coues

Nov 22-28           Youth Rifle           250 Any Antlered

Nov 29-Dec 8       Rifle                   525 Coues

Dec 13-31              Rifle                   150 Coues

Dec 13-Dec 31      Archery               Unlimited

Jan 1-31                 Archery              Unlimited

3,225 tags plus all 3 archery hunts

The issue with 33 is that there is a bunch of area vehicles can’t go which means 90% of the hunters don’t go there.    And there are a ton of deer in those areas so GF has to increase tags because of the deer numbers 

Just the number of tags given out can be misleading.  I am more concerned about the success rate of those tags given out.  I have hunted the late archery bull elk hunt in 23 a few times in the past.  They give out so many tags but the success rate is about 5%.  Doesn't make much of a dent overall.  If the success rate was say 50% I would have a problem with the amount of tags given.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

The issue with 33 is that there is a bunch of area vehicles can’t go which means 90% of the hunters don’t go there.    And there are a ton of deer in those areas so GF has to increase tags because of the deer numbers 

or its just about $$$$

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

or its just about $$$$

^^^^^^^  Like a credit card saying you can earn money back if you pay off your payments.  They already know that most people are month to month and thats what they want.   But they want you to come off like they want you to do good with your personal finances.  Please !!   They wouldn't be in business without all that interest coming in.  Game and fish is sneaky.  Like alpine said.  Sure seems odd that they have cow hunt going on the same time a bull hunt.  More hunters pushing animals around, more hunters crowding the area equals less success harvest and more tags to make money.   Win win for game and fish.  And more tags going out while making hunters happy they got drawn    

• Like 1

If they were worried about the interest they’d find a way to change the law and charge up front. I try to hunt units with the lowest tag numbers given and really learn the unit. It’s worked out well. Lots of folks don’t have time for that, and that’s fine. I never saw crowds of disrespectful people til I moved near a city. Now I hunt deer in units close to home and has to relearn my hunting style........ how to avoid hunters.

G&F has expenses.  They need to sell enough tags, licenses, point guards to pay those expenses.  Remember, they get no $ from the states general fund.