Adam214

Scouting a new area

Hi guys, it’s been a while since I have been hunting! Last deer I killed was with my wife In 2016! Long story short, I got drawn for an October hunt with a good friend. He is fairly new to coues deer and needed some help. 

We drew a unit I have ever stepped foot in, he killed a small spike a year before. I’d like to get him on a decent buck (65-80” deer) and I’d like to hold out for a 90”+. I am walking into this unit 100% blind. I have decent experience coues hunting but would like more “seasoned” hunters input. I have been out a couple times scouting without any real good deer spotted. I spend most of my time on google earth e-scouting. This leads me to my question, what do you all look for as an ideal spot to start? Deep canyons, ocotillo, etc? Wha would you describe as a “feeding” spot versus a “bedding” area? I can glass deer all day but I struggle with the initial start (where to go, what terrain to look for).

2 hours ago, Adam214 said:

36b

Get on the Ruby road and head west anywhere past Pena Blanca lake. Then hike in south of the road, find a high spot and start glassing. Easy Peasy. 😉

• Like 3

For that October hunt, look for North facing bowls and slopes. It's not a hard and fast rule but that hunt is hot and you'll usually find more deer in the shade. Once that sun gets up high enough deer will rotate into the shade. 

• Like 1

I always hunted on the N side of the mtns and stayed away from Ruby Road, were less people on Coronado back behind Arivaca.  Big deer there, just spend the time behind the glass and you will find them.  Haven't been there in a couple years, used to be a lot of border crossers, if I set up a camp I would leave water bottles and trail mix on the table, kept them from going through my stuff.  Then I started just setting up a cot at the tailgate every night, load up in the morning and go hunt, just needed a flat spot for camp.  Pick up some 7.5 minute maps of the area and study them in your living room, plan your scouts to make the most of the gas and time.  Identify a couple good glassing spots, game water, etc before you go out.

first time and only time i went to 36b there were many trucks lined up down ruby road in the evening and i could see guys glassing just off the road to the south. there were lots of shots going off. was a different experience 

1 hour ago, azslim said:

I always hunted on the N side of the mtns and stayed away from Ruby Road, were less people on Coronado back behind Arivaca.  Big deer there, just spend the time behind the glass and you will find them.  Haven't been there in a couple years, used to be a lot of border crossers, if I set up a camp I would leave water bottles and trail mix on the table, kept them from going through my stuff.  Then I started just setting up a cot at the tailgate every night, load up in the morning and go hunt, just needed a flat spot for camp.  Pick up some 7.5 minute maps of the area and study them in your living room, plan your scouts to make the most of the gas and time.  Identify a couple good glassing spots, game water, etc before you go out.

How often did they take you up on your table top offer?

2 hours ago, azslim said:

I was with my buddy last year just behind pena Blanca lake and he shot a small 3x. There was defiantly a lot of traffic. I have been scouting the north side of the area, closer to Arivaca lake:

i want to clarify my question was not to ask for area to hunt. I spend religious amount of time on google earth and have picked up some good game water and decent looking bowls/canyons to glass with little to be found. What terrain do you all look for when starting to scout a new area? South slopes? North slopes? Deep canyons or low rollers? 

I have the unit just north of yours and have spent a long time just driving the roads seeing where they go, which ones were passable and which were washed out or just impossible to drive with a standard truck. I found a ton of areas that on the map and google earth looked uninteresting but were great spots to hang out and watch. Most of the roads I found were only visible on the zoomed in satellite pics. It's been a wet year down there, tanks are happy and full.

I'm a total newbie on the hunting side, but pouring over maps and then planning a quick drive-through were really useful for me to learn the area I am going to end up spending my October hunt in,

a few times I came back to camp and water and trail mix was gone, not sure if other hunters did it or border jumpers.  Have had them come into camp when I was breaking it down, gave them all the questionable food I was going to chuck when I got home.  Told them good luck and run fast.  Did glass up a few drug loads down there, point man and tailgunner with AK's.  I always have a pistol on my side down there even tho I am packing a rifle.  Bad shoot happens to good people all the time.

I have hunted 36B the past 7 years and I have the late November tag this year. The unit is great and tons of game everywhere, just need to get out and explore and find where you'll feel comfortable camping. Kinda started like you did by using Google Earth to find where water was and the roads in and out of certain areas.

I've been blessed by never really having any bad stories or encounters with crosses or dope smugglers but a couple years back at around 1 am, I heard people walking down the road we were camping on. Couldn't make out what they were saying and just passed through. 

The deer are there, I've been fortunate enough to personally see some giants out there and plenty of other sized deer in between.

Be patient because there are other hunters everywhere so have a plan a, b,c etc...

Best of luck!