Sign in to follow this  
6AYoteHunter

Credit Cards

Tired of Wells Fargo putting a hold on the credit card every time we apply for hunts in AZ this year (even tried calling ahead today), and once with CO . Has happened on my card, my Dad's card, and one of our hunting buddies card. Fraud department just gives you the run around saying it is abnormal buying activity. Today they are like "well you have multiple charges that are all the same". Starting to wonder if we need to used a separate card for each application to avoid this problem. We all have zero balances and sizable limits. All of us do extensive online shopping from a large number retailers without issues. 

So question is which credit cards is the "best" for applications? (ie who lets the charges actually go through, who lets you check when cards get hit immediately, who has decent rewards, etc)   

It seems to be a theme with Wells Fargo...first thing I would do is change that.  I use a Cabela's card for 15 plus years and have never had an issue.  I don't use it for anything except Cabela's purchases and hunt applications which reduces the odds that it will be involved in a fraud issues.  I think there is potential for issues no matter what card you have.  It would be nice since all of the G&F departments have forced us into online only if they would provide a way for a back-up credit card.

I only use credit unions. I’ve heard of this so I call before hand and they will leave a note on my account that says there could be multiple charges from AZGFD. Personally have not had any issues.

I’ve been with BofA since 1980 and never had a problem occasionally they will call to confirm a charge that seems odd but never have they denied processing of payments. I also have the Platinum status 

• Like 1

pwrguy,

I'm not certain that your history with your Cabela's card should provide you with that much comfort.  All Cabela's credit cards were moved to a different company (due to the Bass Pro merger) a year or so ago. So, you're dealing with an entirely different credit card company now than you have during those years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StickFlicker said:

pwrguy,

I'm not certain that your history with your Cabela's card should provide you with that much comfort.  All Cabela's credit cards were moved to a different company (due to the Bass Pro merger) a year or so ago. So, you're dealing with an entirely different credit card company now than you have during those years.

I am aware of that.  As soon capitol one gives me any grief they will get replaced.  My point was more to point out that if you have a card that works and you only use it for apps you will be less likely to run into issue's.

Trust me, buy a pre-paid credit card for the amount of your draw entry....no fraud holds occur and the card number is new to the ‘web’ as it will only be used at one location (state you’re applying for).  No worries when I use them.....or some annoying bank rep freezing your account for something ‘they’ believe is suspicious.  

• Like 3

I had BofA for many years and they would drop double charges. Theyre POS anyways so I dumped them. I would never ever consider using Wells Fargo. 

I now use USAA, Capital One, and Chase. No problems yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StickFlicker said:

pwrguy,

I use my Cabelas Card every year.  But...I always call them before I start applications to tell them to expect 6-10 charges for AZGFD in a row.  Never had an issue.

• Like 1