Sign in to follow this  
airchartdan

Last Minute Elk Hunt in Camp Navajo

I got a call today telling me a guy surrendered his tag, and my name was next on the list.  I have 2 bonus points, and I never thought I'd get drawn (especially after having been told I wasn't).  I put all of my efforts into getting prepped for the deer tag I drew for 35A, and I dismissed any thoughts of going elk hunting this year.  Now I have to get ready to hunt in 6B (Camp Navajo) with relatively no prep, and my hunt starts this Friday, 4 Oct.  My only real experience big game hunting was last year on Fort Huachuca, when I hit a Coues at 400 yds with a .270 win, and I'm thinking about using the same rifle again with a heavier round.  Any thoughts, tips, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  

See and elk, shoot an elk...that's what my 4 year old would advise. 

If you can take the time off, take the tag, and get up there asap. Listen for bugles and head toward them, and take the wind into account. If you know how to bugle or cow call try it. 

A 270 will take an elk without issue with good shot placement. What round is the gun sited in for? 

• Like 1

I'm going to zero again tomorrow.  I'm looking at what's available - most likely 150gr Remington Core Lokt.  There's not a lot available where I am, but I'm willing to travel a bit to get better ammo if I have to.  

I'm going to head up there as soon as I can to scout, but I may not be able to make it up there until opening day.

People have been killing elk with core-lokt ammo for years. Would it be my first choice, no. Will it work with a good shot and shot placement, yes. 

8 minutes ago, airchartdan said:

Should I attempt to call?  I've never hunted elk, and I don't know the area or rut activity.  I'm basically going in blind.

Yes call even the cheapest calls work cow and bugle dont worry about sounding awful cause if you ever heard and elk they all sound different.

the whole ares has elk , find a spot and call. there talking really good up in unit 8 right now

• Like 1

Call for location and move on in.  Go prepared to handle a large animal.  Get it skinned & cooled pronto.  Your weapon is fine, hit em' in the boiler room, have fun!

PM Sent.  My son goes to NAU and knows 6b very well...Not so much the navajo depot but everything around it.  6B is his play ground.  He shot a nice bull in there just a week ago.  Check your PM if you want some help. I'm sure he would.

• Like 1