Edge

Walking in the dark to your stand...

walking in the dark by yourself in the woods not for me.  Im a scardy pants

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

walking in the dark by yourself in the woods not for me.  Im a scardy pants

That's a scardy cat!

Yeah, I've done countless hours walking around in the dark in the woods with no problems, yeah it can be creepy but it's very necessary in a lot of hunting set ups.  The main thing I'm worried about is spooking bucks without seeing them in the dark as I'm walking into my hunting spots.

I thought this was the norm. Worse for me is glassing until dark when you are way back in on a coues hunt and then having a several hour hike in the dark alone coming out. I hate those nights but it’s a necessary evil. Always tough to balance bivy’img out vs day hikes. 

• Like 1

That's my worst nightmare when walking in the wood in the dark.  I HATE the deep woods in the dark by myself.  If I'm with someone else I don't mind, but it really sucks when I'm alone!!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

No problem do it all the time just need to keep your eyes open and flashlight 🔦 on 

I work a couple weeks a month about 2 miles back in Turkey Creek. There's several spots where a lion could easily ambush me in the deep narrow canyon, I'm always seeing lion tracks. Can't always have a friend or even my dog along.

I'll work till dark then hike out stopping frequently to survey 360' with a good light.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Big Browns said:

That's my worst nightmare when walking in the wood in the dark.  I HATE the deep woods in the dark by myself.  If I'm with someone else I don't mind, but it really sucks when I'm alone!!!!

Sometime back I read a book documenting mountain lion attacks on humans. One fellow was a young, athletic and experienced backwoodsman employed by a lumber company for surveying and assessing timber stands. 

He played college football; a running back, and knew what it was like being blindsided and hit hard. He said that lions initial tackle was far more powerful than any hit he'd ever received on the gridiron. Knocked the wind out of him and the Lion wasn't letting go. Credited his backpack with saving his life.

Do it every year but if you let your mind wander it can be a bit creepy. Only once have I had something screech, scream... it was unidentifiable to me but it scared me pretty good. I came back to look for track but soft sand showed nothing.

2 minutes ago, Snapshot said:

Which Turkey Creek?

20B between Cleator and Goodwin