Edge

Walking in the dark to your stand...

One early dark morning on a turkey hunt, I was heading down an old two track road to a stand of tall pines that turkeys were using as a roost. It was a pretty good hike into a drainage. After a half mile in, still dark,  I decided to hit the call to see if I can get a response.

As I was standing there, catching my breath, the loudest screech I've ever heard was literally right above me.  Freakin owl!!! 

Scared the living bejesus out of me! lmao!!! Took about 10 minutes for my heart rate to settle back down! haha.  I'll never forget that walk in for as long as I live.  

• Like 1

Just now, AZ8 said:

One early dark morning on a turkey hunt, I was heading down an old two track road to a stand of tall pines that turkeys were using as a roost. It was a pretty good hike into a drainage. After a half mile in, still dark,  I decided to hit the call to see if I can get a response.

As I was standing there, catching my breath, the loudest screech I've ever heard was literally right above me.  Freakin owl!!! 

Scared the living bejesus out of me! lmao!!! Took about 10 minutes for my heart rate to settle back down! haha.  I'll never forget that walk in for as long as I live.  

Owls are spook...........between their hoot/screech and then their swooping sound when one goes past you.........enough to send a person packing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biglakejake said:

been hunting Arizona since i was 6yo, 60 now and still have not seen a live lion in the wild.  kicked out a few bears in the dark but i was always most afraid of hydrophoby skunks and foxes.

scariest thing happened in broad daylight-descending a steep slope in big canyon i see a huge, black mass of bees as big as a house headed up right at me.  nowhere to go so i hit the ground, covered up and waited to die.  turned day into night.  pucker factor 10+.

lee

LOL I wonder how many have seen us and either weren't interested or we barely escaped their curiosity.  

• Like 1

few here are old enough to ever experience a predawn climb up a ridge in 36C and have a monumental sonic boom go off like a foot from your ear.  those were heart-stopping.

lee

Pretty much what I figured all the noise I couldn’t see was. Throw in a Yeti and that’s my walk, in my mind!

Seriously hate walking back alone in the dark.

6 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I thought this was the norm. Worse for me is glassing until dark when you are way back in on a coues hunt and then having a several hour hike in the dark alone coming out. I hate those nights but it’s a necessary evil. Always tough to balance bivy’img out vs day hikes. 

Not in my book!!!  Im hiking out early if by myself and usually get to the truck right when its dark.

Well I am camped solo 1,000 miles from my nearest acquaintance in bear country and now I have to read this. So thanks...

• Like 1

Found 2 lion kills in a one square mile area on my elk hunt. The second one had fresh piss around it. Took all day to get that smell out of my nose. Found tracks criss crossing everywhere and it appeared to be a momma with a half grown companion. I did alot of traveling in the dark and it was a bit spooky. But then again i swim past the breakers in the ocean sometimes and wonder what is swimming under me. Deffinalty had my sidearm unsnapped and hand close to the holster.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, ctafoya said:

Skunk wasn't scared 

Skunks are just strange little turds and incidentally, a favorite table fare for lions. The felines grab a snack and get a cover scent at the same time.

I woke up once while sleeping on the ground, totally hung over. A skunk was getting into my bags, horse feed and occasionally peering into my sleeping bag as my stinkin dog and I tried to wait him out. He'd sprayed my dog the night before.

I'd finally had had enough and grabbed my carbine with snake shot to blast him. I got out of my fart sack to dispatch the little jerk and he just bound over about 100' to where my horses were tied, stopped under one and did a hand stand, threatening to spray my ride if I didn't mellow.

Soon as I lowered my rifle he got back on all fours and went back into the brush. They're crafty little bung holes.

• Like 1

I honestly can't believe so many people are scared of walking in the dark because of lions.

I wasn't prior to reading this thread but you're making me think I should be!

The thing about Lions, is they are an ambush predator. They launch themselves at the prey from behind, clamp their jaws on the neck, and use the momentum of the attack to twist and break the neck.

I'm not afraid of walking in the dark, but there are times when the hair on the back of my neck is at full attention......