azbugler

Help Arrest this poacher!

I’ve previously been asked by G&F  departments to measure animals (officially) for suspected poaching cases to determine if they meet the ‘trophy’ statute and/or B&C/P&Y.  Perhaps I may get to measure this one as well?  dang shame it taken from us in this manner.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOHNTR said:

I’ve previously been asked by G&F  departments to measure animals (officially) for suspected poaching cases to determine if they meet the ‘trophy’ statute and/or B&C/P&Y.  Perhaps I may get to measure this one as well?  dang shame it taken from us in this manner.  

Im just wondering what game and fish considers trophy vs B and C and or pope and young?

22 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Im just wondering what game and fish considers trophy vs B and C and or pope and young?

Unless it has changed AZGFD when assessing civil penalties considers an elk with 6 points or more a "trophy" which carries an automatic $8,000 fine regardless if it is a 240" bull or 400+ 

20 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

It’s usually written in each state’s statute.  Not sure what it is for AZ?    

I believe CO statute considers anything that nets 165” (mule deer) a trophy and eligible for the Samson’s Law (punitive assessed fines) and IWVC. 

14 minutes ago, TOBY said:

So could a raffle or auction tag holder possibly shot it and lost it? Or it didn't score enuff to tag?

Was not a raffle hunter.  

Not defending a poacher, but in reality, I’ve never seen a poacher arrested. Assess a monetary fine? Yes.  Loss of hunting privileges? Yes. Arrested? No. 

• Like 1

I have.  Saw three guys getting booked in at 4th Ave jail for shooting a deer in Gila Bend.  Deer was in the back of the game warden’s truck.  Nice buck.  

2 hours ago, TOBY said:

So could a raffle or auction tag holder possibly shot it and lost it? Or it didn't score enuff to tag?

The auction hunter isn’t shooting 350 bulls. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, AZ8 said:

Not defending a poacher, but in reality, I’ve never seen a poacher arrested. Assess a monetary fine? Yes.  Loss of hunting privileges? Yes. Arrested? No. 

Over the years, I have reported on quite a few in various states. They have not only been arrested but actually served jail time or had suspended jail sentences with certain conditions. 

7 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Over the years, I have reported on quite a few in various states. They have not only been arrested but actually served jail time or had suspended jail sentences with certain conditions. 

Good to know. I only see where the perp gets a fine and loss of hunting privileges. In effect,  getting away with it. Even the outfitter up on the ORO using a helicopter and having 2 separate wildlife violations didn't go to jail.  

4 hours ago, AZ8 said:

Good to know. I only see where the perp gets a fine and loss of hunting privileges. In effect,  getting away with it. Even the outfitter up on the ORO using a helicopter and having 2 separate wildlife violations didn't go to jail.  

It's usually the more egregious incidents that get jail time involved. It's especially so if the USFWS gets involved. 

• Like 1