Sign in to follow this  
archeryaz

Another first for my son!

So when it came time to put in, my oldest son told me he wanted to put in for archery bull this year. I was not surprised after being successful during his archery antelope hunt last year. Results came out and sure enough his luck continued with his first ever archery bull tag! And to top it off he was issued the last tag in the unit. After a few scouting trips, plans were made. My cousin was able to provide me with sightings of some elk, as well as some sightings by a couple friends. Things started off very slow with no rut activity being seen. As the hunt went on, we had a close call with a great bull, but it just did not seem to be in the cards that day. As the hunt went on I was truly inspired by his dedication and never quit attitude. With every missed opportunity, he just seemed to be that much more driven to get it done. We went several days with not so much as a sighting of an elk. After his last weekend, his mom and I agreed to let him miss two days of school, so he could finish off his hunt, with the understanding that he would make arrangements to get his assignments he would miss ahead of time. His reply, “done”. We headed out for the last two days. The morning of day one, 10 minutes into glassing a bull was spotted with a single cow. We made the move. Swing and a miss! Back to glassing. Found another bull with two cows, off we went! With a little help from the wind, we were able to get to within 62 yards of the bull as he was bedded down with his cows. Then the waiting game. We could not go any further due to the position of the cows. After about 45 minutes, we were busted by one of the cows. The bull stood up, and he let the arrow fly, as the arrow impacted, elk exploded in every direction! The two cows we originally saw turned into twenty in an instant. Gage told me he thought he had shot over the bull. I was able to get a quick look through my 10’s as the bull was leaving. I could make out blood coming from his mouth. I reassured him it was a hit, and what I believed to be a good one. We walked back to where we had dropped our packs, a quick scan showed the bull was down in a flat. After some phone calls to some very close friends for help, we took some quick pictures. We started on field dressing and breaking the bull down to get him out of the sun as fast as we could. Great ending to an even greater hunt! 

8C0AB35A-76F1-441B-8B04-2AF98C52B67A.jpeg

01669A04-2955-48A2-BC8A-DFBE38C4A98C.jpeg

C56CE4F5-5455-415E-AC90-67E6C2F57725.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Great Buck! 2
  • Wow! 1

Beautiful bull! Way to go !!

Great job guys and an extra congratulations to the young man on his first archery bull elk!  That is so cool!  Nice fronts on that bull.  That is a shooter any day in my book.