azhunter42

Got tickted by azgf

First and hope last ticket from them. I got the common shooting within a 1/4 mile of occupancy, out dove hunting a few weeks ago . I honestly thought I was far enough, but I was not. What are the consequences for such a ticket? 

Not sure but guessing about 150$. Bring a rangefinder or get permission in the future. What area were you in?

17 minutes ago, DUG said:

Not sure but guessing about 150$. Bring a rangefinder or get permission in the future. What area were you in?

My fault completely for assuming. It was a new place I never hunted before in Maricopa. I was only 240 if recall from a barn. 

59 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Was it an occupied barn?  If it is not occupied, it is not illegal, or so I thought?  

From the regs.….

Shoot Too Close To An Occupied Building or Residence (A.R.S. 17-309 A 4)

Without the resident’s permission, you may not discharge a firearm within 1/4 mile of any occupied residence while taking wildlife. All structures including barns, sheds and cabins should be assumed occupied. This is one of the most common violations during dove and quail seasons.

Assume = make an a$$ out of u and me!

Once proven unoccupied it is not a violation. 

• Like 5

Occupied means being used, it may not mean that someone was actually there.  Would you want someone hunting 240 yards from your house if you weren’t home?  

• Like 3

"Occupied means being used, it may not mean that someone was actually there."  Not sure that is a legal definition but it is good practice.

I hope game and fish keeps enforcing this rule more. So many people just pull up on someone’s property or next to it and start shooting or hunting. Happens all the time. Game and fish did the right thing here. 

• Like 1

According to the reg, weather it was occupied or not, you need the land owners permission. Years ago it read you need the land owners written permission.

I had the game and fish get out a 4" book and hey read that occupied means owned. my 2 cents

• Like 1

For this section, the legal definition of an 'occupied dwelling' is, in fact, a barn or shed whether it is occupied or not.  Many states have the exact same statute. 

Here are the exact rules that apply to archery and firearms:

17-304
h. Discharge any of the following devices while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile (440 yards) of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident: 
i. Arrow or bolt, 
ii. Hybrid device, or 
iii. Pneumatic weapon .35 caliber or larger.

17-309
4. Discharge a firearm while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident.