Explorer

Second day success

Had an amazing two day hunt with my son Strad on the youth multi unit deer hunt. We spent the whole opening day working some pinion juniper country in 19a and saw some does but also found an incredible amount of trash and dead animals laying just about everywhere we stopped. Sat water that evening and decided on the way home we would hit the pines in another area and check out some areas the forest service had done some clearing in. About an hour after sunrise we saw a group of 5 bucks and tried to put the stalk on but had a real hard time due to all the shreaded bushes from the clearing had made it almost impossible to stalk without making to much noise. The deer moved through the clear area and back into the thick oaks on the hillsides. Frustrated we headed towards a tank I knew of on a closed road hoping to find water. About 200 yards before we came into sight of the tank I saw a doe browsing along below us. I told  Strad we should loop around the hill so the doe won't spot us and give us away if there are other deer below. No sooner had we turned around when we heard the clatter of hooves running in the trees behind us. I pull up my binoculars and spot three deer behind a large gator bark 60 yards away. I can see the bodies but not the heads. They were milling around behind the tree and I was able to see that all three were bucks but all I could see was the base of the horns on each buck. Strad had no shot because they were standing one behind the other. We got down as low as we could and watched them for about 3 minutes. They were watching us back. For some reason that I'm greatful for, the lead buck decided to step out from behind the tree instead of sneaking off behind it. As soon as he hit the open and vitals were showing I was able to get the first part of the word shoot out when I heard the gun go off and the buck hit the dirt. He tried to get back up but fell back and never moved again. We gave each other hugs and high fives. Strad had just harvested his first big game animal. We gutted and dragged him the 1/2 mile back to the truck and were back in chino by 1030. 20191005_081714.thumb.jpg.8c4da7c3298a5c8ea0b93568995984dd.jpg

20191005_155245.jpg

• Like 26
  • Great Buck! 1

Cool man! Great first! 

Strad is a pretty interesting name, is it short for something or is there a story behind it? 

• Like 1

Outstanding!!!!  

My children have all grown into young adults now (still hunting).  Spent many many youth hunts with them over the years, and there is NOTHING like it!!!  So awesome for you and Strad!!!

S.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Cool man! Great first! 

Strad is a pretty interesting name, is it short for something or is there a story behind it? 

That is his full name. Named after a freind I have known since we could crawl. I actually met my sons mother at one of his birthday parties.

• Like 1

If anybody with the same youth tag is having a hard time finding deer I am willing to point them in a general direction without giving away a honey hole.

• Like 1

WELL DONE!!!  Congrats on the new hunter

• Like 1