Been scouting this unit for the past two months. Seen only one bull while out hiking and cameras have picked up quite a bit of activity. Are the elk usually way up high in the aspens because of the lack of water and warm weather? Will the kachina wilderness hunts affect locations? Looking for some help due to my lack of elk hunting experience. We are the rifle cow hunt starting the 18th.

Thanks,

Justin 

• Like 1

Listen for bugles. Chase the bugles. 

That time of year I would expect most elk to still be up in the middle to high elevations. 

I would personally start my hunt up near the base of the peaks and chase bugles. Bugles will lead you to bulls who are still chasing cows. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

Subscribed and timely thread so thanks.

I have the late rifle hunt in this unit and was wondering how the activity is here.

Eddie

The late rifle can be very different than the October hunt. Weather and water have alot to do with what to expect on the December hunt. 

In December you won't have any bugles to chase. It will be more spot and stalk, ambush, or sit water kind of a hunt. 

7E holds elk from top to bottom depending on the weather, water, pressure etc. 

7E isn't an easy hunt. In fact it can be quite challenging, so don't expect an easy hunt, especially if the weather sucks. I stopped hunting 7E because the amount of elk seemed to be dropping alot. They have stopped issuing all the peaks tags though and reduced the overall amount of tags so hopefully it will pick back up. 

6 minutes ago, jpsciteacher said:

I haven’t heard a bugle yet unfortunately

Go to the cinder cones north of the peaks and check out the bowls on top. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

Go to the cinder cones north of the peaks and check out the bowls on top. 

Be prepared to hike. Some of those cones are tall. 

5 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

The late rifle can be very different than the October hunt. Weather and water have alot to do with what to expect on the December hunt. 

In December you won't have any bugles to chase. It will be more spot and stalk, ambush, or sit water kind of a hunt. 

7E isn't an easy hunt. In fact it can be quite challenging, so don't expect an easy hunt, especially if the weather sucks. I stopped hunting 7E because the amount of elk seemed to be dropping alot. They have stopped issuing all the peaks tags though and reduced the overall amount of tags so hopefully it will pick back up. 

Thanks for the info Hoss50.  Some new info and some already figured out, but I appreciate the help.  👍

I expect this hunt to kick my butt, but I'm mentally ready.  Physically?  I'll let you know around Dec. 1.  Hahaha.

Eddie

3 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Be prepared to hike. Some of those cones are tall. 

I know! 😉

I hiked up the Abineau trail last week and there was a nice herd at about 10,500' uphill of the waterline trail/road. Bulls were bugling at 10am. Don't call me for help if you get one there!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

They still issue peaks only tags. They are just not in the limited opp. Section and they reduced the size of the hunt area and tag numbers etc.

39 minutes ago, Explorer said:

They still issue peaks only tags. They are just not in the limited opp. Section and they reduced the size of the hunt area and tag numbers etc.

I should have worded it better. I know they still have a peaks hunt or 2, but they used to have like 5 or something silly because they were trying to reduce the elk herds up there for awhile. They also lowered the number of tags on the late rifle hunts which will help a little. 

I like 7E, but the last hunt up there a few years ago was tough, and opportunity was pretty was scarce for us. If they keep the tags lowered and the herds start coming back I might start putting in for it again. 

8 hours ago, eddielasvegas said:

Subscribed and timely thread so thanks.

I have the late rifle hunt in this unit and was wondering how the activity is here.

Eddie

For your late hunt dont worry to much about scouting early other than to get the lay of the land. Spend as much time up there though as you can the 2 weeks before the season. That will be way more beneficial. 

Find the water, the food, and travel routes. Get away from the roads, and get some elevation to glass. 

Yeah those cones aren't just tall but pretty dang steep, killed a pair of boots climbing one last year.  I'll be up there for the late bull hunt as well, good luck.