AzDiamondHeat

New Mexico elk 2019

Good luck man! Haven't drawn an elk tag in NM since NR's could apply for cows.

5 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

dang thats cold. 

I see some spent casings there!

Spent shell casings and some ELK HOOVES in the second pic!!  🤣

Now let's see it!!!

• Like 1

sorry about the sideways pic. doing this on my phone..

5x5 but pretty small.  the genetics here are very poor. this is a fairly typical bull for the area.  

so the story is pretty funny and embarrassing at the same time. 

we were driving across the river to our canyon for the morning hunt when we saw a big heard of about 100 elk. we stop to watch and these two bulls break off and start fighting. the guide tells us to jump out and shoot them.  

thats when things got a little western.  took 3 shots but he finally went down.  the other took 4 shots.  

evidently road hunting is legal on private property in new mexico...

not even a little bit proud of the way it went down, but...dead elk.  

2 for 2 now in new mexico. 

now the crappy drive home.

thanks eddie.

Chapter 2. 

so the reason i am on this hunt is my father in law is doing work for the guy that owns this big ranch and has landowner tags. 

we did this same hunt last year and my father in law never even had a chance at an elk.  going into day 4 of this year it was the same story.  

last night we went out fir the evening hunt and I was able to call a bull into 80 yds right before dark.  he took what he said qas a good shot but there was zero sign.  we went back this morning and after a thorough search were confident he missed. 

after searching we heard a few clise by bugles at decided to give chase. we got between 2 bulls and set up.  i called fie not more than 2 minutes and one bull came in hard.  our guide stopped him with a chirp and father in law dropped him in his tracks with one shot at 53 yds.  

first elk for him and solid redemption for blanking last year. i was so happy to be a part of it.  

very cool looking elk.  wild jacked up genetics up here.  

20191012_093303.jpg

20191012_085052.jpg

20191012_080037.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

• Like 3

Nice going!  Thanks for sharing with the site!

Regarding the sentiment of "not evening being a little bit proud....", hey man, I say forget all that stuff!!!  The way I see it;  You went hunting with your father-in-law, spent some great time in the good ol' outdoors, saw some elk, and killed a couple!  The outdoors, family, elk, memories.  That right there sounds like a great trip to me!!!  😉

✌️

S.

final chapter

last hunt tonight to get brother in law his elk. got in them thick and had 5 solid chances.  no joy.  brother in law gets to eat tag.  

3 of 4 tags filled.  not bad

im going  home now. im tired.  lol