Hello,

I just recently got a 6.5x300 weatherby vanguard series 2 and after doing some research. It sounds like the caliber is a barrel burner if your not careful. I was wondering if there is a company that makes bull barrel or heavier duty barrel for the rifle.

Thanks

A heavier weight barrel will not increase barrel life any. It may improve accuracy some over the standard light weight factory barrel but the throat will wear just as fast. With that caliber, the barrel will need to be treated the same as brass or any other component. You will only get so much use of out of it before it needs to be replaced. I would shoot out the one you have before I replaced it. Shouldn't take long. 

your barrel will last longer if you don't let it get hot.   I would probably shoot the gun and wait a bit before the next shot. .....or maybe shoot a round of 3 and let the gun cool completely. 

My top secret method is to bring so many guns to shoot that you always have something to shoot while your barrel burner rifle is cooling down. 

Here is my advice.    Shoot the gun.   Find your load and just have fun with the gun.   So after awhile your gun starts to loose some accuracy.   So what,  get another barrel (that is probably an upgrade) and do it all over again.   You will honestly spend more money on ammo than you will on the cost of the barrel.......but nobody ever talks about the $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 they are going to spend on ammo to burn a barrel out.   Barrel replacement is just another part of the cost of busting primers.  BURN IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!    

• Like 2