Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Desert Landscaping Question?? HELP PLEASE!!

I'm buying a new (used) house, and was hoping to get a little input from anyone on here who has experience on this topic.

The home I'm buying currently has the typical Bermuda grass yard.  I want to replace it with desert landscaping, and plan on doing most of the work myself.  Question is:  For the basic dirt/granite/sand layer that I will be using, do I need to get a bobcat in there and dig down/out all of the old grass roots, etc., then start fresh, including some kind of plastic layer in between the fill-dirt and the 'desert layer'?   Or can I just level it and over-lay the new base landscape? 

Said another way, here are the three options I'm thinking of:

1. Dig out all current grasses/roots, level it, then lay-down the plastic (or other) barrier, and then gravel/sand/granite layer.
  2. Simply level it (without digging out current grass roots & such) and then lay-down the plastic (or other) barrier, and then gravel/sand/granite layer.
  3. Simply level it then lay-down the gravel/sand/granite layer without the barrier (assuming I would need to do massive weed and grass killing going forward without the barrier).

The one thing I don't like about the barriers is I have this vision of tattered plastic sheets becoming visible years down the road. :(

Any experts?????

Thanks in advance!

S.

51 minutes ago, stanley said:

1. Dig out all current grasses/roots, level it, then lay-down the plastic (or other) barrier, and then gravel/sand/granite layer.
  2. Simply level it (without digging out current grass roots & such) and then lay-down the plastic (or other) barrier, and then gravel/sand/granite layer.

I just did mine last spring, basically doing a combination of your two options above. I had a bobcat come in ($500) and dig down somewhat, but it's about impossible to remove all of the Bermuda roots. Then over the course of a week, I gave it two thorough soakings of Roundup, going very heavy at the edges along walls, sidewalks, etc.

I then bought a roll of 6 mil. BLACK plastic and cut long 1-ft. wide strips. I already had sand/gravel mix and a mixer. Just needed to buy two bags of cement. Went to Home Depot and got two laborers to dig a 6" wide and 6" deep trench along every edge. Made them lay the plastic in and then add concrete on top so it abutted to the block walls on each side and the house, where grass is most likely to sprout up.  Once the rocks came, they just laid more plastic, being sure to overlap the smaller edge pieces and others by at least six inches. About 3" of rocks followed. With the two 3' runners along the driveway, the wall across the front, and planter around the tree, everything costs me about $6K, but I didn't do any of it myself. The actual rock work (35 tons) was about $2,200 of that. 

yard.jpg.03e9a0924c7806d1e14ec8d32eb00919.jpg

yard2.jpg.ff2d59f0ebdeac9efee81f533976991a.jpg

This is after the bobcat work. Also note that I had the concrete contractor put the plastic UNDER the edge of the runners and wall foundation. Used some leftover white 6 mil for that, as well. 

yard3.jpg.b76a3c416d35de2ed4de1edc293ab2a4.jpg

I use a super nasty mixture that kills EVERYTHING for 2+ years. Bushes, grass, weeds, trees, seeds, leather boots, rubber gloves, the will to excercise, etc.  I use it on my back 2 acres.  I am sure, one day 50+/- years from now, I will die.  Just because I use this crap.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Looks good, Tony!   Nice and clean/clear!

I'm still a couple of months away from any actual work (haven't even closed on the house yet....), so doing some early prospecting on ideas.  Truly appreciate the input, everyrone!!

S

16 hours ago, stanley said:

Looks good, Tony!   Nice and clean/clear!

I'm still a couple of months away from any actual work (haven't even closed on the house yet....), so doing some early prospecting on ideas.  Truly appreciate the input, everyrone!!

S

When I get to it, I plan to make some lightweight, faux boulders (Styrofoam, chicken wire with a concrete shell) to scatter about. We're also going to put a couple big concrete pots in front of the house and smaller ones across the apron in front of the patio. I'm just trying to avoid making holes in the plastic because each and every one of them invites grass/weed growth, meaning constant spraying.

This time of year it's going to be tough to try to kill all the Bermuda grass for sure. If it's actively growing then I would hit it with a heavy dose of glyphosate. After you redo the yard with a desert landscape remain Vigilant on hitting any new Bermuda growth with glyphosate and you should be able to get rid of all of it by next year. In a healthy established yard with good soil it's possible for Bermuda grass roots to be as deep at 6 feet.

• Like 3

I got rid of all my Bermuda grass with chemical warfare! Lol  

After treatment and scalping the grass, I simply spread the rock over it. Grass would grow back in spots, but I’d hit again with the grass killer. Eventually, the grass no longer popped up. It requires more diligence, but it sure beats removing all the grass. 2 years now and the grass no longer comes up. Just the occasional weed that I hit. 

Chemical warfare is the way to go! Haha

• Like 3

Stan,

When I bought my home, I ripped out all the gravel and plastic liner as everything had built up and formed a topsoil within the rock.  So I had weeds and grass growing on top of the plastic.  Yes...there was black plastic popping up through the rock and it drove me CRAZY.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 520HUNT said:

Real landscapers dont use plastic!

Agree, after 20 years in the industry... never use plastic.  You'll regret it down the road. Glysphosphate is the ticket!