CatfishKev

And were off to a rough start... 2019 Bison and Youth elk hunts

Well got the truck packed and hooked to the camper. Got the boys with me and heading up for my bison hunt. Mommas supposed to come tomorrow with the oldest daughter.  

Heading out of the valley up the steep incline we here a thud and all of the sudden no power...uggh you gotta be kidding me.   Turbo gage drops to zero... limp up the hill to the flat at like 15mph.  After a phone call and look over things we figure I blew my intercooler.  Drive another hour and a half back to the valley to get one of two in the valley that I can pick up tonight. Pick up at autozone and start to work not realizing I'm right next to a 7 11. After the first encounter with a local undesirable I pack the boys back in the truck and head up to the happy valley walmart.  

Was really wanting to be up there at first light but hey that's how it goes. I'm just glad ot ain't something worse and that were not stuck in the middle of nowhere.  

At the very least I suppose it's a character building experience for my boys. 

Hopefully we can be back on the road in a couple hours.

20191009_214120.thumb.jpg.da2a3bcc30b06c5c587563dc883298b5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well that could have been worse.  I made the boys help and got it done relatively quick. Back on the road.  Intercooler burst at the seem, new one was $800 gee wiz..

20191009_223046.thumb.jpg.c823b9b013b8f11f714ae029a605cdfa.jpg

20191009_223020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

It will just add to the memories for you and the boys.  Great job having them help, I like the step stool!  Good luck on the hunt!!!

Sucks that it happened but that’s pretty cool to hear you got it knocked out.  Those boys learned some stuff that night, not just how to change out an inter cooler in a Walmart parking lot, but that giving up when life gives you a little crap isn’t the answer.  They learned to figure out what the problem is, how to fix it quick and keep on going.  I’d say honestly 90% of the guys in here, myself included would have punted on a day or so of the trip and turned around and waited for the next day and headed up a couple days later.  Kudos to you for pushing on and teaching your boys to do the same!  

• Like 9

Getter Done!  Have fun doing it though!  Hope you had the boys bring .22's, squirrels are thick on the 'Bab

22 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Sucks that it happened but that’s pretty cool to hear you got it knocked out.  Those boys learned some stuff that night, not just how to change out an inter cooler in a Walmart parking lot, but that giving up when life gives you a little crap isn’t the answer.  They learned to figure out what the problem is, how to fix it quick and keep on going.  

+1

And they did it with smiles, good job, Dad. And good luck!

• Like 1

I spent a couple of hours in that exact Walmart parking lot a couple of years ago when the transmission on my dad's old 1995 GMC gave-out as I was heading out for a Utah deer hunt!  🤣   Was grateful it happened then as opposed to on highway 89 1/2 way between Flagstaff and Marble Canyon.....    In my case there was no quick fix, and I ended-up having to rent a truck for the hunt.

As mentioned, BIG kudos to you for getting right on it and pressing-on!  A good story for the campfire down the road.... ;)

Good luck!!!!

S.

• Like 2

Best of Luck to you man, hope you have a hunt of a lifetime!  You got the stink off, now go have some fun!