Sign in to follow this  
azcouescrazy

Brass Annealing

Not EV so may not be what you are looking for but I've been using brass cleaning service on Facebook and been super happy, cheap prices and fast shipping 

Im in Construction but I usually pay people do do stuff around the house and handyman stuff.  But annealing is very easy.  Grab a torch or buy one form home depo (if you get mapp gas it will burn faster but also over heat, must be fast)  Put on a glove and hold base of round.  Put torch on the shoulders of the brass.  Heat up right before it starts to glow.  You don't want it to glow the goal is right before.  After a couple of brass you will figure it our.  To do a hundred rounds just at 5 min.  And 5 min of prep time.  Easy!

IMG_3840.thumb.JPG.3a33382b4d0420d900aea08bd869192f.JPG

• Like 1

try a cast iron skillet w an inch of water. stand up 50 cases or so and torch the necks one at a time tipping each over into the water at the perfect time.   just tip it w the end of the torch.  i have been told i needed that quick cooling for the best annealing.

lee

• Like 1

7 hours ago, biglakejake said:

try a cast iron skillet w an inch of water. stand up 50 cases or so and torch the necks one at a time tipping each over into the water at the perfect time.   just tip it w the end of the torch.  i have been told i needed that quick cooling for the best annealing.

lee

+1 the quick cooling is what does the trick 

Brass dissipates heat so fast, there is no need to quench.  Just adds time to your prep to dry it thoroughly inside and out afterwards.  Quenching is for hardening/tempering, and brass doesn't temper.

I use the MAP gas torch and deep socket method as well.  Done about 30k rounds that way.  Depending on brass and cartridge, anywhere from 3-6 seconds per case.  There is not set amount of time for every case.  

I am north central Phoenix area, but if you need help, let me know.  I can knock them out for you fairly quickly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Brass dissipates heat so fast, there is no need to quench.  Just adds time to your prep to dry it thoroughly inside and out afterwards.  Quenching is for hardening/tempering, and brass doesn't temper.

i'm no expert-the fellow who showed me how won the camp perry 1,000 yd match in 1989.

lee

• Like 1

You can read 10 articles and get half and half opinions.  Just stating what my research and method is.

• Like 3

drill and quench aswell quick and easy, i also fire form just incase i soften a little too mutch but i also fl size when i anneal but only nk size for target and hunt so more than one reason for me to fire form em