My one and only kill was a carp at 565 yards with a 300 win mag. I was more happy with the shot than the deer. Those guys giving you a hard time probably never shot their rifles past 100 yards for anything, including the target range.

bowsniper

We talk all the time about flat shooting calibers, bullet trajectory, knock-down power and the like, but equally or more important to some is the rifle scope. If you can't see em thru the scope, you can't make a good swift kill. I know guys that spend alot more on scopes than they do on the rifle. Large lens and clear optics for better light gathering and hi power so you can settle the crosshairs on the specific point you want. Some of the smaller scopes with crosshairs, dots or whatever your using will completely blot out a deer at long range. Can't shoot accurately a long ways off like that, at least I can't. If I can't hold the crosshairs and see the exact spot I am shooting for , I don't take the shot. Personally, i don't like the hail mary and hope it hits something. As always, just my 2 cents. I will probably get bashed by a shooter that uses open sights with claims that he/she/it routinely shoots coues at 400 yards with deadly accuracy, with a 22 rimfire, low light conditions, hurricane winds and the like.

Trufletch

gnoto,

No, they were not in the Rut.

Sometimes they are hard to sneak in on, maybe even impossible, but I would say that at least 95% of the time you can sneak to within 250 yards. You can't always get a shot that close across a canyon, but there is always the option of sneaking onto the same hillside. I can't see a reason too shoot over 400 yards at anything. I am sure it can, has, and will be done, but I think the risk of wounding something is too great at anything farther than that. I don't see the difference between NM and AZ coues deer hunting. Terrain where I've seen them in Arizona is similar to where I have seen them in NM.

I have shot my whitetail from 20 yards to 597 yards. If they would have had lazer range finders years ago, I like a lot of other people would have shot some bigger bucks. Of course the long shots I do now, have to be under the perfect situations. And only if I can not get closer.

Noel

I guess the other question is, if you see a monster at 350 yards and it is one of the biggest coues you have seen, do you try to get closer and risk spooking him or let him have it from there. I would let him have it from 350 since I am comfortable with that. It all boils down to how good you are with your rifle, how much you trust yourself and if you have done your homework at the range.

NMT, I was just pulling your chain, that is a nice buck. I think I need to hunt with you because I have NEVER had a buck on my side of the canyon! Most of the terrain I hunt in AZ is different than in NM, NM is alot thicker for the most part. I am a transplant to NM from AZ and use to hunt alot in AZ for Coues, and where I hunted it was definitely more open in AZ. Of course there is alot of area in AZ that is thick as well, like the Blue River up Eagar way, but I still glass that and it is so thick that you would be hard pressed to find a buck you glassed up once you have tried to move in on him. SO the solution is shoot him from where you see him if possible. AG

300 WSm

Post them or send them to me at dmorem@cox.net or Amanda. I love to see any Coues even the Mexican cousins of the ones we hunt here!

:ph34r:

As far as a gun being overkill, if you hit a deer in the lungs for the most part all you take it is rib meat, possibly the far shoulder, but when it really comes down to it is there really a big difference in the amount of blood shot meat? the smaller bullets tend to have more velocity and the larger bullets are slower so it may be a wash (or nearly so ) anyway. All I know is I like my deer dead and if I have to cut out some blood shot meat so be it. At least I will be eating deer steaks in the near future!!! :D ag

Hey whats the NM thing supposed to mean!? JK My dad shot a coues buck at 500 yards in the neck in AZ. But Mybuck in NM was a 300 yarder so i dont think it matters cuz i have a 300 win. mag and i had lots of meat for steak and jerky!

500 YARDS in the NECK! I too would rather be lucky than GOOD!

:D

I shoot a .300 Wby Mag. with relatively hot handloads for the ballistics. My longest shot is 319 yards so far, but I'm comfortable out to 400 yards with a good rest, plenty of time, and little wind. Been practicing out further, but it would have to be a "now or never" shot at a huge buck to consider it - for me at least.

Some people can shoot very well out to long ranges, and some can't hit a barn from up close. I always laugh when I hear people trying to tell everyone the max range they should shoot based on their OWN abilities.