Sign in to follow this  
jdown

WTB Steel for centerfire shooting

Looking for a couple of 12"x12" type plates that will handle magnum centerfire rifle rounds.  From what I gather, I think I need 1/2" AR550 steel or equivalent.   Does anyone have any to part with or a source?

Thank you

I ordered 2 from amazon a while back. They are 12"x16" ar500 3/8 thick for about $100 delivered. The closest i have shot was 400 yards and they handled a 140 grain.270wsm at 3240 fps. There is a chart on line for ar500 ballistics.

Screenshot_2019-10-14-10-50-39.png

Screenshot_2019-10-14-10-53-47.png

1 minute ago, jdown said:

cool.. I wonder if the 3/8" will hold up to 300 and 338?  Sounds like it is worth a shot.  Thank you.  

I posted the chart. It is the speed that does the damage.

For 3/8 the impact velocity needs to be under 2800 fps. Thats why I didnt shoot under 400 yards. They also handled the 7 mag just fine.

3/8 ar500 handles everything I’ve thrown at it up to 300 rum. Steel starts at 500 yards. 

bought mine from industrial metal supply down in the valley.

• Like 1

IMS (Like Western said above my comment) they have a site at  48th st between broadway and southern (across from tempe diablo stadium) -and a Tucson one I haven't been to.

they have precut shapes as well. they used to have different silhouettes but I haven't seen them for a while, might have to ask

2 hours ago, jdown said:

Looking for a couple of 12"x12" type plates that will handle magnum centerfire rifle rounds.  From what I gather, I think I need 1/2" AR550 steel or equivalent.   Does anyone have any to part with or a source?

Thank you

I have several in 3/8" and a couple in half inch. They're mounted on knock down stands. Stands can be pinned so they won't fall, too. I'll beat any price.

• Like 1

I built a bracket to mount to a T-Post. During fire season or hunting season I’ll paint my targets tan so they don’t stick out.

29 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

I built a bracket to mount to a T-Post. During fire season or hunting season I’ll paint my targets tan so they don’t stick out.

So, are you saying you leave them hanging out all the time?