Sign in to follow this  
jdown

WTB Steel for centerfire shooting

2 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I would think some a$$hole would steal them like a trail cam..

Haha I don’t want to jinx myself but ya that’s always a possibility. They are 15 minutes from my house so I shoot a bunch but if the forest is closed or when lots of hunts are going on I’ll paint them tan and sometimes I have a hard time finding them haha.

How are you mounting them?  Post and chain or just driving in on two posts or something else?  

I'm thinking just buying some gongs and welding two posts of angle iron to each side and just driving that into the ground vs doing the whole chain thing...?

I drilled two holes and welded nuts to them for threads. Those two bolt tighten the bracket up against the flat part of the t-post.

The center bolt is actually positioned so you can drill a hole through the t-post and double nut a bolt to prevent someone who isn’t packing tools around from sterling the plate. You don’t have to use it.

The top bolt with the spring is where I mount my plate. The plate goes between the two washers by the head of the bolt and the spring gives the plate a little flex on impact and also keeps the plate pushed out so it isn’t leaning. 

I need to paint my plates again so I’ll take a picture later with them mounted.46F9AF39-95EA-4CE2-9D24-15135D219474.thumb.jpeg.7c0a0129151dde64d54390bde4508d29.jpeg507E6AED-BF38-4C03-98A7-651D68673E05.thumb.jpeg.3eb7cb5dcac386a39fa680da40cb1548.jpeg8ADB7581-C596-4B7A-AAA7-A44BF0B07B21.thumb.jpeg.f43ad5e8513b213cb9cc4e50fe273691.jpeg

3 hours ago, jdown said:

Perfect. Thanks 

Just be careful with the ones from IMS, they have AR500 and some other stuff. My buddy bough 4 of them down here in Tucson that the guy swore were AR500 and we shot through all 4 of them before we realized what was happening. I got my 1/2" AR500 steel on Amazon, we have shot 270 wsm, 300 wsm, 28 nosler, 300 win mag, 300 rum amongst others and no issues at 200 yards and further. 

We used to get our steel from Heflin steel in Phx, but when they found out they were being used for targets, they wouldn't sell anymore to us. 3/8ths and 1/2 AR 500 will with stand any 30-06 caliber class. From what I understand on a sheet of AR 500 steel it might be 500 where it is tested, but maybe not as strong eight to ten inches away. I know the chicken on the 200 meter line at the high power range at Rio Salado is 1 inch AR 500 and there isn't even a pock mark on it, at least not the last time I checked. Usually it's the small speedy stuff, like .223's and .243's that chew steel up.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:00 PM, cjl2010 said:

I built a bracket to mount to a T-Post. During fire season or hunting season I’ll paint my targets tan so they don’t stick out.

Haha, good idea.  I've glassed up a few steel targets, painted white though.  No need to steal them, just borrow them by practicing on them.

1 hour ago, G_E_E said:

Haha, good idea.  I've glassed up a few steel targets, painted white though.  No need to steal them, just borrow them by practicing on them.

I’m good with people shooting mine whenever they want. Just leave them so we all can enjoy them haha.