Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Muzzleloader question

Friend bought a second hand Traditions Tracker 209. It has a nipple I'm not familiar with. It's too big to fit a #11 percussion cap and too small for a primer.1014192036.thumb.jpg.04b28f8f6390ac35da12e54de7603ee8.jpgWhat am I missing here?

2 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

209 primer?

209 primer doesn't come close to fitting 

The Traditions® Tracker™ 209 Muzzleloader offers accuracy and performance at an affordable price. Built to be compatible with both 209 primers and percussion musket caps, for

The Traditions® Tracker™ 209 Muzzleloader offers accuracy and performance at an affordable price. Built to be compatible with both 209 primers and percussion musket caps, for

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/traditions-tracker-209-muzzleloader-r44003470.html

I've got #10 and #11 caps used on my rifle.They don't come close to fitting

The nipple on the YouTube video for the 209 primer looks larger. Sound like you need a different nipple possibly. 

16 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

The nipple on the YouTube video for the 209 primer looks larger. Sound like you need a different nipple possibly. 

Yes I see you can get up to a #13 cap, some states don't allow primers on MLs. Can't find any cap locally.over size 11. Anyone know where they can be had?

Hoping putting a 209 primer nipple works. Caps get smashed by the bolt to ignite, primers not so much.

8 hours ago, biglakejake said:

musket cap availability in question now

Yes threads tend to morph. Also looking for anyone whom has done the conversion to 209 primer. Does the bolt have to be changed too? Bolt face is almost totally flat.11835.thumb.jpeg.28303b0112f2f49ff32cff0086491c0e.jpeg

beginning to think the musket cap nipple was just hammered into place with a mallet.  perhaps pry it out and the 209 pocket will be there.  if you cannot remove the breech plug find someone who can.

lee